Da Costa exits as Guenther joins Andretti BMW Formula E team
BMW i Andretti Motorsport has signed Maximilian Guenther for the 2019/20 Formula E season, replacing Felix da Costa who wants to win a Formula E title so is reported to be moving to the champion DS Techeetah team, which is set to announce a replacement for Andre Lotterer after he joined Porsche's first FE line-up..
The fate of its other driver, Alexander Sims, is unconfirmed.
Guenther twice recorded finishes of fifth in the 10 races he contested last season, his first in Formula E, with Dragon Racing and finished 17th in the championship.
Da Costa, in his third campaign with the Andretti team which became BMW’s factory outfit, won the season-opener but ultimately finished sixth in the standings.
Guenther has previously raced one of the Bavarian marque’s single-seaters in Formula BMW Talent Cup in 2011.
“I am looking forward to Maximilian Guenther returning to the BMW family,” said BMW Group Motorsport Director Jens Marquardt.
“We followed his performance last season very closely. Maximilian regularly managed to get the maximum out of his car package. That saw him achieve some impressive results.
“Having a driver with a history of BMW single-seater racing is a great fit.”
BMW is set to name its second driver before the official pre-season test takes place at Valencia from October 15-18.
Da Costa wrote on Twitter that he would "carry [BMW] in my heart forever. New challenges coming up, soon [I] will announce my future".
|Da Costa departs in search of a title|
"I have always been happy and proud to be part of the BMW family," da Costa said in a BMW statement.
"BMW Motorsport gave me the opportunity to drive many different race cars, and to learn an incredible amount.
"I would also like to thank BMW i Andretti Motorsport for a great and intense time together in Formula E.
"Although I am now moving on to face new challenges, I will always look back fondly on my time at BMW."