Latest F1 news in brief
- Even Spain hails Hamilton conquest
- Title not over for Ferrari - Ecclestone
- Swerve shows Alonso 'annoyed' - Haug
- 'No news' on US GP future - Bernie
- Kubica to also sit out Silverstone test
Even Spain hails Hamilton conquest
(GMM) Even the usually fiercely partisan Spanish press had to hail rookie and runaway championship leader Lewis Hamilton's defeat of Fernando Alonso at Indianapolis on Sunday.
The British media's Monday morning reaction was predictable enough -- the Daily Mirror crowned the 22-year-old back to back winner president of the "Lewnited States of America".
But even Spain's Diario As called Hamilton's performance in the US grand prix, just seven days after his career breakthrough in Montreal, "faultless".
The daily 'Marca' added: "For Alonso, the challenge of Hamilton seems even more difficult than Michael Schumacher (was). Once again, the world champion must be content with second place".
Spain's 'Sport' praised Hamilton's 73-lap charge on Sunday, including defending Alonso's overtaking attempt, as "merciless".
"Alonso put on the pressure from the beginning, but McLaren's Briton closed all the doors and again drove faultlessly".
El Mundo Deportivo stayed slightly more loyal to F1's defending title winner, claiming that pole position had been the "most crucial" element of the US grand prix.
But the radio transmitter Cadena SER marveled: "Who would have thought that Alonso's worst adversary would lurk within his own team?
"Hamilton has emerged as his strongest opponent for the coming years".
Title not over for Ferrari - Ecclestone
(GMM) F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone said on Sunday evening that Ferrari should not be ruled out of the championship contest in 2007.
The Italian team at Indianapolis endured a third successive difficult race on Sunday, despite usually dominating the US grand prix venue in the past with Michael Schumacher at the wheel.
The constructors' deficit to McLaren blew out to 35 points after the North American double header, while Ferrari's highest placed driver, Felipe Massa, is just shy of 20 points behind championship leader Lewis Hamilton.
"The championship is not over for Ferrari," Ecclestone insisted.
"There are still many points yet to be assigned, and they are not so far away. With a bit of luck things will run better for them soon."
But when meeting the press for Ferrari's traditional post-race press conference in the Indy paddock, team chiefs Stefano Domenicali and Luca Baldisserri admitted that everyone at Maranello is still trying to get to the bottom of how the F2007 racer has fallen off the pace after its stellar start to the season.
The Italian newspaper Corriere dello Sport characterized the US grand prix as Ferrari continuing to "limp laboriously backwards".
La Repubblica observed that "even more pressure" is now on the shoulders of the Prancing Horse.
"Massa had to be content with only third place, while Raikkonen sinks even more deeply".
Swerve shows Alonso 'annoyed' - Haug
(GMM) Fernando Alonso on Sunday denied that swerving at the McLaren pitwall during the US grand prix had been a sign of anger during his on-track battle against Lewis Hamilton.
The reigning world champion, however, would not have his statement backed up by chiefs of the McLaren team, including Martin Whitmarsh, Norbert Haug and even Mercedes-Benz CEO Dieter Zetsche.
"(Alonso) was a little annoyed, I am sure," Mercedes' competition chief Haug told the German broadcaster RTL.
But the German insisted that rookie Hamilton, who went on to win his second win in the space of seven days, had done nothing wrong.
"Fernando was pushing very hard at the time, while Lewis drove in the same way that Fernando did in Monaco.
"You have to accept that the front runner sets the pace of the race."
Haug added that officials "must ensure" that any tension inside the Woking based team does not get out of control.
DaimlerChrysler's Zetsche, meanwhile, said: "Both of our drivers are racers, and naturally they both want to win -- even against their teammates.
"The fight was fair, it was clean, which is what you expect. You don't expect them to just sit back and watch."
'No news' on US GP future - Bernie
(GMM) Bernie Ecclestone left Indianapolis on Monday reporting "no news" regarding a new contract for the US grand prix in 2008 or beyond.
The F1 supremo said: "Whether we return to Indianapolis depends on (promoter) Tony George.
"He knows the problems, and if he repairs them, then all is good."
Kubica to also sit out Silverstone test
(GMM) After missing the US grand prix, Robert Kubica will also sit out this week's pre-Magny Cours test at Silverstone in England.
Nine of F1's eleven teams on Sunday headed directly from Indianapolis to the Northamptonshire venue for a three-day session starting on Tuesday, but BMW's Kubica is yet to receive the all-clear from doctors to drive even at tests, team boss Mario Theissen told reporters on Sunday.
Theissen insisted, however, that Pole Kubica - who was hospitalized in Montreal after a huge crash during the Canadian grand prix a week ago - is scheduled to have a medical check in the days before the French race at Magny Cours.
"As soon he has the green light he will be sitting in the race car again," the German confirmed.