Latest F1 news in brief UPDATE Updates shown in Red below.
- Speed set to launch NASCAR career
- Spy emails 'not big deal' - Montoya
- Spyker agree to F1 team sale
- Wurz agrees to silence over F1 future
- Sutil admits other teams want him for 2008 New
- Heidfeld wants several more years on grid New
- McLaren will not appeal spy saga penalty New
Speed set to launch NASCAR career
(GMM) Axed Toro Rosso driver Scott Speed is set to kick off a new career in American tin top racing.
The Californian, who was replaced by Sebastian Vettel recently following a falling out with his F1 team bosses, will drive a Red Bull-sponsored car in the ARCA race - a stepping stone to the NASCAR series - at Talladega next month.
"I come from a completely different world of racing, so there's no doubt it's going to be a challenge learning how these cars handle," he said. "But I'm ready to get out there and see what I've got," Speed said.
Spy emails 'not big deal' - Montoya
(GMM) Former McLaren driver Juan Pablo Montoya has played down the involvement of the team's drivers in the espionage saga.
The Colombian, who switched to the NASCAR series last year, agreed that the spotlight deserved to be shone on McLaren because the Stepney-gate affair was "crossing the line" in terms of formula one cheating.
But he played down the emails, that ultimately led to McLaren's $100m fine and championship exclusion, that were sent between Fernando Alonso and Pedro de la Rosa.
"They aren't really that big of a deal because you can always find out what everybody else is running," Montoya said in an interview with the news agency AP. "Somebody will always open their mouth.
"You go for dinner, and somebody will say 'We are running this weight and doing that.' So most of the time you can find out what people are running anyway."
He suggested that even de la Rosa's discussions with Mike Coughlan about Ferrari's weight distribution and other detailed matters was not overstepping the mark.
"Anybody could have found out those numbers without the documents," Montoya claimed.
"I don't know if it's cheating. I want to just say it's formula one and that's just the way it is over there."
Montoya admits that even he would have got involved in studying and discussing the confidential documents.
"Of course I would. Wouldn't you? If someone came to you and said 'Here are the documents,' you would take them. But I guarantee that's not the way it happened."
Spyker agree to F1 team sale
(GMM) Spyker announced on Thursday that an "initial agreement" to sell the Dutch formula one team to Vijay Mallya and the Mol family for 88m euros has now been reached.
It emerged earlier this month that Spyker Cars' board had granted the consortium, which offered 80m euros, 30 days of exclusive negotiations to conduct due diligence.
"The negotiations have resulted in an agreed increased sale price of EUR 88 million," a statement explained.
The sale will be final upon the completion of "several (legal) conditions)" and the approval of the parent company's board at a September 29 meeting, Spyker added.
CEO Hans Hugenholtz commented: "It has become increasingly clear that we could not continue to operate in both the world of formula one as well as maintain the investments needed to grow and develop the road car division."
Wurz agrees to silence over F1 future
(GMM) Alex Wurz says he has reached an agreement with Sir Frank Williams not to comment on his future in formula one.
There has been much speculation about the Austrian veteran's plans for 2008, as Williams considers whether or not to extend his contract to race alongside Nico Rosberg.
"Frank and I have an agreement that we won't comment or even hint about what I will do after the 2007 season," Wurz, who has struggled to match Rosberg's pace this year - particularly in qualifying - said.
"We're in dialogue, of course, but on a very confidential basis, so I would like to stick to this and not comment any further.
"In the end, the situation won't be anything magic or complicated. My ex-team boss would say, 'Let the world know when it's appropriate'," the 33-year-old said, in an apparent reference to his long career as a test driver for Ron Dennis' McLaren team.
Wurz added: "I wouldn't use his exact words, but I'll talk when it's time to do so."
Sutil admits other teams want him for 2008
(GMM) Adrian Sutil has admitted that "several" other formula one teams have expressed interest in signing him for the 2008 season.
But the impressive German rookie said actually driving for one of them, amid speculation of links with teams like Williams and Toyota, would involve the consent of Colin Kolles -- and someone willing to buy out his solid Spyker contract.
"There have been some talks," Sutil said in an interview with Auto Motor und Sport, "and there has been a lot of other feedback from some of the other teams.
"Several have shown interest in me: the only question is, will someone agree? And then will it be something that I will want?
"Naturally no-one has said simply: drive for us. Each team has enquired carefully but there have been various discussions. But my contract with Spyker also applies to 2008.
"So if a change is possible for me into a top team, then also Colin Kolles must agree.
"We have contacts with three teams. I cannot say who they are -- we have an agreement with Spyker, so everything we do is in interaction with them.
"Kolles gave me this chance and so I will behave loyally to Spyker," Sutil said.
Heidfeld wants several more years on grid
(GMM) Nick Heidfeld has repeated his desire to prolong his formula one career for several more years.
The 30-year-old German, who recently extended his BMW-Sauber contract for reportedly two more years following an impressive 2007 season, said at the International Motor Show in Frankfurt that he will not think about retiring for "seven or eight" more years.
"I am having enormous fun at the moment, and so I waste no time thinking about stopping," Heidfeld said, according to the German news agency 'sid'.
He added that charging for his first drivers' world championship should be realistic in the next couple of years.
"I am confident that it will work out," Heidfeld continued. "In the next season I would like to win my first race, and after that fight for the title.
His team boss, Mario Theissen, agrees.
"We are actually ahead of where we thought we would be," the German said.
"So because the season has gone so well for us, we are able to concentrate 100 per cent now on the new car for 2008.
"We also know that the last step towards the front is the most difficult," Theissen added.
McLaren will not appeal spy saga penalty
(GMM) McLaren announced on Friday that it has decided not to appeal its $100m fine and constructors' championship expulsion for espionage.
The Woking based team explained in a statement that team chiefs have today "notified the FIA of its intention not to appeal the verdict of the World Motor Sport Council".
McLaren said it studied the September 13 judgment with its lawyers and shareholders and found that "it is in the best interests of the sport, and (the team's) goal of winning races and world championships, not to appeal".
"We believe the time has come to put this huge distraction behind us," team boss Ron Dennis commented.
The news means that Ferrari will now definitely win the 2007 constructors' title.