Villeneuve 21st in NASCAR debut
Jacques Villeneuve finished 21st in his NASCAR debut in the Craftsman Truck Series race in Las Vegas Saturday night.
The former F1 and Indianapolis 500 champion started seventh in the Bill Davis Racing Toyota and was racing as high as 16th before getting involved in an incident on lap 46. Villeneuve hit rookie Brian Scott from behind, forcing him to pit for repairs. He finished a lap behind the leaders.
"I was running high and I ended up getting sideways," Villeneuve said. "You can actually slide those trucks a lot without crashing, so that's quite good. I'm surprised because it wasn't a big hit at all, but it did significant damage."
"But I learned a lot. I made a big mistake on the first restart, and I will be sure not to do that again. I also learned that these guys run very hard from the very beginning. Even though the truck was damaged, it was a big learning experience for us."
Villeneuve's next truck race will be October 6th at the Talladega Superspeedway.
Pole sitter Travis Kvapil held off Johnny Benson and Jon Wood to claim his fourth win of the season.
Mike Skinner, who helped coach Villeneuve in his Truck debut a few weeks ago, finished 13th to take over the points lead from Ron Hornaday, who finished 22nd. CTV News
Unofficial results of Saturday's NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Smith's 350 at the 1.5-mile Las Vegas Motor Speedway with position, driver, team, laps and status:
1. Travis Kvapil, No. 6 Roush Fenway Racing Ford, 146, running
2. Johnny Benson, No. 23 Bill Davis Racing Toyota, 146, running
3. Jon Wood, No. 21 Wood Brothers/JTG Racing Ford, 146, running
4. Terry Cook, No. 59 HT Motorsports Toyota, 146, running
5. Erik Darnell, No. 99 Roush Fenway Racing Ford, 146, running
6. Josh Wise, No. 00 Darrell Waltrip Motorsports Toyota, 146, running
7. Dennis Setzer, No. 18 Bobby Hamilton Racing Dodge, 146, running
8. Stacy Compton, No. 09 Wood Brothers/JTG Racing Ford, 146, running
9. Rick Crawford, No. 14 Circle Bar Racing Ford, 146, running
10. Chad McCumbee, No. 8 MRD Motorsports Chevrolet, 146, running
11. Clay Rogers, No. 75 Spears Motorsports Chevrolet, 146, running
12. Regan Smith, No. 47 Morgan-Dollar Motorsports Chevrolet, 146, running
13. Mike Skinner, No. 5 Bill Davis Racing Toyota, 146, running
14. David Starr, No. 10 Circle Bar Racing Ford, 146, running
15. Ted Musgrave, No. 9 Germain Racing Toyota, 146, running
16. Chad Chaffin, No. 40 Key Motorsports Chevrolet, 146, running
17. Kevin Hamlin, No. 4 Bobby Hamilton Racing Dodge, 146, running
18. David Green, No. 1 Red Horse Racing Toyota, 146, running
19. Scott Lynch, No. 29 Windward Racing Enterprises Dodge, 146, running
20. Tim Sauter, No. 07 Green Light Racing Chevrolet, 146, running
21. Jacques Villeneuve, No. 27 Bill Davis Racing Toyota, 145, running
22. Ron Hornaday, No. 33 Kevin Harvick Inc. Chevrolet, 145, running
23. Willie Allen, No. 13 ThorSport Racing Chevrolet, 144, running
24. Buddy Lazier, No. 15 Billy Ballew Motorsports Chevrolet, 143, running
25. Brett Thompson, No. 61 Thompson Motorsports Dodge, 142, running
26. Matt Crafton, No. 88 ThorrSport Racing Chevrolet, 130, engine
27. Jason White, No. 7 Pennington Motorsports Dodge, 111, accident
28. Todd Bodine, No. 30 Germain Racing Toyota, 110, accident
29. Brian Scott, No. 16 Xpress Motorsports Ford, 105, running
30. Brendan Gaughan, No. 77 South Point Racing Chevrolet, 84, accident
31. T.J. Bell, No. 50 Roush Fenway Racing Ford, 41, accident
32. Jack Sprague, No. 60 Wyler Racing Toyota, 31, accident
33. Dana White, No. 86 Team Racing Chevrolet, 9, handling
34. Johnny Chapman, No. 08 Green Light Racing Chevrolet, 5, overheating
35. Bobby Dotter, No. 06 Green Light Racing Chevrolet, 1 vibration