Latest F1 news in brief
- Hamilton reveals shiny helmets for Monaco GP
- Dennis confirms driver equality for Monaco GP
- Mallya - Indian GP on track for 2010
- Mosley stripped of official status for Monaco
Hamilton reveals shiny helmets for Monaco GP
(GMM) As per usual on the glamorous streets of Monte Carlo, McLaren's two race drivers will wear diamond-studded helmets throughout the forthcoming Monaco grand prix weekend.
Lewis Hamilton, the 23-year-old British driver, gave his newly-sparkling yellow helmet the thumbs-up at a media event on Thursday to launch the diamond sponsor Steinmetz's Monaco promotion.
His and teammate Heikki Kovalainen's autographs are spelt out with hundreds of gems on their respective helmets for next Sunday's marquee race.
"Sometimes you get some of the nice quirks and bonuses and I guess this is it," Hamilton, who like Kovalainen will also receive a diamond ring, declared at McLaren's Woking factory.
It also emerged this week that Honda driver Jenson Button will wear a special helmet design penned by one of his fans at his home grand prix at Silverstone in July.
Dennis confirms driver equality for Monaco GP
(GMM) McLaren boss Ron Dennis has confirmed team driver Lewis Hamilton's call for equality ahead of the Monaco grand prix next weekend.
"We're a team and I want it to continue as it is, fair and square," Hamilton said recently.
The 23-year-old Briton's call for equality follows the Monaco grand prix of one year ago, when he was ordered to finish behind his then teammate Fernando Alonso.
Dennis said in 2007: "I don't like to slow drivers down, I don't like them to be frustrated but it is the way you have to win the Monaco grand prix."
This week, however, with Heikki Kovalainen now occupying the second car alongside Hamilton, Dennis is quoted as saying by Reuters: "The reality is we pride ourselves on providing equality to both drivers."
Mallya - Indian GP on track for 2010
(GMM) Vijay Mallya has confirmed that the Indian grand prix is on track to join F1's annual calendar in 2010.
The sport's chief executive Bernie Ecclestone last year announced the deal to take formula one to the world's second most populous country, with a circuit slated to be built near the capital Delhi.
Since then, however, precious little has been heard about the project, despite the fact that Force India team co-owner and permanent paddock fixture Mallya is also head of the Indian national motor sporting federation.
Asked by the German news agency SID if the Delhi race is still on track, Mallya answered: "Yes.
"The people who have acquired the rights have the necessary land, they obviously have the necessary fees to pay Bernie Ecclestone, and they have the authority.
"Now they will build the track, together with Hermann Tilke. We are all looking forward to 2010," billionaire Mallya added.
Mosley stripped of official status for Monaco
(GMM) In yet another setback for the embattled FIA president Max Mosley, it has emerged that his deputy has actually been appointed the governing body's official representative for next weekend's Monaco grand prix.
The development means that Mosley, set to face a confidence vote of the FIA senate early next month, will be conferred little more status than a mere spectator, as rumors continue that other paddock residents will attempt to avoid the scandal-gripped Briton.
The British newspaper The Daily Mail claims that the Monaco royal family, the Grimaldis, made it clear that Mosley - caught recently in a sadomasochistic romp with five prostitutes - is not officially welcome at F1's marquee event.
Measures will reportedly be in place to keep the parties apart in the paddock and on the grid.
It has emerged that Marco Piccinini, the Paris body's deputy president, will in fact be the official FIA representative for Monaco, despite Mosley's scheduled attendance.
It is also believed that Mosley, 68, will not attend the post-race gala dinner, or the podium ceremony.
A spokesman for Monaco's Royal Palace confirmed to The Times newspaper that there is "no question" of Prince Albert meeting with Mosley.
"We have just been informed that Mr. Marco Piccinini will represent the FIA at the Monaco grand prix," he said.
"The Prince will only meet the official representative of the FIA, but maybe Mr. Mosley will come as a private person to the grand prix," the spokesman added.