Latest F1 news in brief
- Coulthard names son Dayton
- Barrichello threatened with sack at Austria '02
- Montoya said no to F1 comeback offers
- Montezemolo approves of Abu Dhabi F1 track
- Webber injury puts pressure on Vettel
- Swiss press excited about Buemi news
- New rules will not change F1 - de la Rosa
Coulthard names son Dayton
(GMM) David Coulthard and his fiancée Karen Minier have named their newly-born first son Dayton.
The baby boy, three weeks premature and weighing 2.8 kilograms, was born last Friday.
A few days on, the trio have now returned to their home near Brussels (Belgium).
It is believed the name Dayton was selected not only so the boy could share his father's moniker 'DC', but also in reference to the family's Hayton-Coulthard haulage business.
"I was incredibly lucky to be a grand prix driver for 15 years, something I could only dream of as a wee boy.
"But nothing compares to his birth and winning 13 races seems completely insignificant in comparison," Coulthard, 37, told The Herald.
Dayton Coulthard's middle name is Minier, the surname of his Belgian mother.
Barrichello threatened with sack at Austria '02
(GMM) Rubens Barrichello has this week continued his tirade against Ferrari and Michael Schumacher.
The veteran Brazilian, whose record-setting formula one career looks at an end, has followed through with his promise to one day reveal more about his six-year tenure with the famous Italian team.
On the Brazilian TV program Fantastico, he claims he was threatened with the sack while he led the infamous 2002 Austrian grand prix.
While circulating in front of Schumacher, Barrichello said he was told over the radio: "Do you know that Michael is behind you? It's important for the championship."
He said his conversation with the pits lasted for eight laps, before an ultimatum was presented on the final tour.
"The intensity of the conversation increased with every lap. And then I was told to think about my contract," said Barrichello.
"For me it was clear -- take your foot off the gas or you will be going home."
Barrichello said he was appalled by the turn of events, and asked Schumacher afterwards if he had anything to do with the decision.
"He said he had nothing to do with it, but I have the documents at home to prove that he was aware of everything that took place," the 36-year-old insisted.
Montoya said no to F1 comeback offers
(GMM) Juan Pablo Montoya has confirmed he has received and turned down offers to return to formula one.
The 33-year-old Colombian left the category in the middle of a difficult season with McLaren in 2006, after a promising earlier career that netted him 7 wins.
Now settled in America's premier NASCAR series, Montoya insists he is "not interested in returning to F1".
"I am very happy in the US, and so is my family. Truthfully, it has never gone through my head to go back to formula one.
"What's more, even if McLaren or Ferrari wanted me, I would not go," he said in an interview with the Spanish news agency EFE.
It is suggested that Toro Rosso, and perhaps other teams, have been in contact with Montoya since he switched codes.
"I rejected these offers," he confirmed. "I'm not interested."
Montezemolo approves of Abu Dhabi F1 track
(GMM) Luca di Montezemolo has given the thumbs-up to the site of next year's formula one season finale.
On a visit to Abu Dhabi, the Ferrari president - recently highly critical of this year's new venues in Singapore and Valencia - was all praise for the circuit currently under construction on the marina at Yas Island.
"I am very content," the Italian is quoted as saying by La Gazzetta dello Sport.
"From what I can see so far, it looks outstanding and also completely unique, fortunately much more interesting than the other new circuits in Valencia and Singapore," Montezemolo added.
The Yas Marina Circuit, to uniquely feature underground sections to the pit entry, is being constructed by the Abu Dhabi-based Aldar Properties, who are also building the official Ferrari World theme park on Yas Island.
Moreover, Ferrari is significantly backed by Etihad Airways, the national airline of the United Arab Emirates.
Webber injury puts pressure on Vettel
(GMM) Sebastian Vettel has vowed to cope with the responsibility of carrying the load of Red Bull's pre-season testing duties.
The highly rated 21-year-old, approaching only his second full season as a race driver, said he has not spoken to his 2009 teammate Mark Webber since the Australian badly broke his leg last weekend.
"We will proceed as usual with testing and for sure he will be missed but it is more important that he is back next year to get the new car running," the German told F1's official website.
Until the experienced Webber, 32, is back in action, the focus of the team's preparations for next year will now fall on Vettel's shoulders.
Not only is it a big responsibility for a young driver, Vettel is also settling into a new environment, having switched from the sister team Toro Rosso.
He said: "We have to be even more focused down in Jerez at our next test and can't afford to make any mistakes, as time is valuable."
Chief test engineer Ian Morgan believes Vettel's adjustment will be smooth.
"He settled in very quickly and it actually felt as though he'd been with us for a long time already, which is a good sign," he said after last week's Barcelona test.
Swiss press excited about Buemi news
(GMM) The domestic media is excited about the imminent return to the formula one grid of a Swiss driver.
Red Bull magnate Dietrich Mateschitz told a British specialist website on Monday that Sebastien Buemi is "very likely" to make his formula one debut with the Toro Rosso team in 2009, with an announcement to be made before Christmas.
The news triggered headlines in the major Le Matin and Tribune de Geneve newspapers, as well as titles including the regional Journal du Jura and Le Nouvelliste.
20-year-old Buemi's uncle and manager Humbert said recently the youngster is close to securing the seat.
"We are hoping for an official announcement to be made soon," he revealed.
In September, Toro Rosso boss Franz Tost said Buemi would be hired for 2009 "as long as we manage to find a suitable experienced driver" to be his teammate.
New rules will not change F1 - de la Rosa
(GMM) Pedro de la Rosa has warned formula one fans not to expect next year's regulations to dramatically alter the on-track action.
The introduction of slick tires, KERS-powered 'boost' buttons and radically altered aerodynamics have all been slated to improve the likelihood of overtaking.
"It is true that racing (other cars) will be somewhat easier, they are good changes, but they are not going to transform formula one," the Spaniard, who is McLaren's chief test and reserve driver, is quoted as saying by Marca.
"The cars are staying wide and the aerodynamic characteristics will still be obstacles to overtaking," de la Rosa added.
"This is never going to be like MotoGP, and people should understand that."