Mosley willing to see FOTA engine proposal (GMM) Max Mosley has indicated he may be willing to drop his plans for a standard engine formula, so long as F1's manufacturers propose an "interesting" alternative.
Cosworth last week was revealed as the winner of the FIA tender, with at least four teams urgently invited to accept the invitation to use a powertrain package from 2010 for a low cost.
But at the same time, the F1 teams' alliance FOTA was meeting in Geneva, where it is believed it was unanimously agreed to propose an alternate low-cost 1.8 turbocharged - but not standard - engine formula.
"We are in discussion mode at the moment," said FIA president Mosley on Wednesday, amid speculation up to five teams - possibly including Renault - have reacted positively to his Cosworth plan.
Ahead of his meeting with FOTA in Monaco, he told the Motor Sport Forum: "A lot of the teams would like a base engine, but the manufacturers may also make an offer, which could be interesting, so we will see how it develops.
"It would be better if they accepted the proposal, but you cannot pre-judge what other people come up with. If it looks good, then that's fine. I just want to make sure we are not going to wander into a catastrophic situation without knowing what we are doing," said Mosley.
In the wake of Honda's departure, Mosley said he is concerned about the future of the sport, particularly if the global economy continues to worsen.
"At present I haven't heard anything specific as to whether another manufacturer will pull out. I don't think anybody knows.
"But if the situation does get worse for the car manufacturers then we will lose another one. Whether that would be before the season starts is difficult to say. We are in unknown territory," he said.
Copyright 1999-2013 | AutoRacing1 is an
independent internet online publication and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed
by IndyCar, NASCAR, FIA, Sprint, or any other series sponsor.
This material may not be published, broadcast, or redistributed without