(GMM) Anthony Davidson says that "serious talks" to resurrect his formula one career next year were scuppered by Honda's complete withdrawal from the sport.
The 29-year-old Englishman commenced the 2008 season with Super Aguri, but dropped off the grid when the Honda backed team collapsed.
At the Autosport International show on Sunday, Davidson revealed that he had been in discussions with the Ross Brawn and Nick Fry-led Brackley based team to return to the paddock in 2009 until the bad news struck early last month.
"I was in serious talks of not only trying to get a race drive for the year with the team, but as the bare minimum getting a reserve drive," he said.
"Talks were progressing really well, and the deal was almost done with just a few weeks to spare before the announcement, and it now leaves me in a very similar situation to what Jenson (Button) faces now."
Davidson admits his chances of putting together an alternate deal in formula one for the forthcoming season is "very slim".
"You should never give up but I am a realist as well and I have learned that over the last year and the year before," he said.
Davidson, with 24 grands prix under his belt, ruled out reviving his career by stepping back into the support category GP2.
"Unfortunately GP2 survives on the paying driver," he explained, insisting he would need about 2 million euros in sponsorship.
"That pretty much puts that out the window," Davidson, who did some F1 commentating on British radio following the Super Aguri demise, said.
He said he would consider "another professional drive" elsewhere should he not find a role in F1.
Copyright 1999-2018 | AutoRacing1 is an
independent internet online publication and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed
by IndyCar, NASCAR, FIA, or any series sponsor.
This material may not be published, broadcast, or redistributed without