Official: Mercedes to stay in F1 Mercedes doesn’t intend to pull out of Formula One racing despite large first-quarter losses by its parent company and massive cost-saving measures. Daimler, the parent company, reported a net loss of $1.7 billion in the January-March period compared with a net profit of more than $1.74 billion in the first quarter of 2008.
“We look into our Formula One commitment every year. But even if we dropped out of Formula One now, we wouldn’t be saving a cent because the contracts are long-term,” Daimler’s chief financial officer Bodo Uebber said Tuesday.
Mercedes supplies engines to the McLaren, Brawn and Force India teams.
Uebber said the car company had “no sacred cows,” indicating that a future pullout from Formula One could not be ruled out.
Helmut Lense, Daimler’s labor union leader who has a seat on the board, said last week the company should pull out of F1 because of the financial crisis. He said employees did not believe the company should support a racing team while they are being ask to make sacrifices.
Lewis Hamilton won the Formula One championship last season in a McLaren-Mercedes car. But the team has been struggling this season and faces a hearing in Paris on Wednesday on charges of bringing the sport into disrepute.
Copyright 1999-2014 | AutoRacing1 is an
independent internet online publication and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed
by IndyCar, NASCAR, FIA, Sprint, or any other series sponsor.
This material may not be published, broadcast, or redistributed without