Latest F1 news in brief
- BMW confirms no double diffuser for Spain
- Merc receives 'inquiries' about F1 KERS
- 'Fast' Hulkenberg eyes 2010 Williams seat
- Haug does not back 'winner takes all' system
- Ferrari sticks with KERS for 'B' car
- Suzuki admits hopes for Super Aguri return
BMW confirms no double diffuser for Spain
(GMM) Mario Theissen has confirmed that BMW-Sauber's major aerodynamic upgrade for the Spanish grand prix does not include a so-called 'double diffuser'.
We reported recently that the Hinwil based marque's first effort in the concept did not suit the F1.09 package.
"In hindsight it would have been better if we had started on this (diffuser) subject earlier," the BMW motor sport director told the German press in Munich on Tuesday.
"We are working on it, but you don't want to change too much at one time," he added, also pointing out that Sebastian Vettel is a title contender even without a double diffuser on his Red Bull.
Brawn, Williams and Toyota began the season with the controversial solution, and were subsequently followed recently by the McLaren, Renault and Force India teams.
Ferrari will roll out an initial version of the double diffuser this weekend in Barcelona, while Renault's R29 will feature its second iteration of the concept.
Red Bull is targeting the Monaco grand prix later this month for its diffuser debut.
Merc receives 'inquiries' about F1 KERS
(GMM) While every other team muses the KERS dilemma, it is clear that McLaren-Mercedes is the 2009 champion in the new energy re-use technology.
Toyota, the Red Bull teams, Williams, Force India and Brawn have not fitted the technology to their cars at all this season, while Ferrari, BMW and Renault's experimentations have shown an unclear benefit from their respective systems.
The works cars of Lewis Hamilton and Heikki Kovalainen, however, have consistently used the Mercedes-developed KERS system at all four grands prix so far.
Norbert Haug revealed to the German press on Tuesday that the marque's success with KERS in F1 has made its system popular.
"We have had several inquiries (about KERS)," said the Mercedes competition boss, "both from teams that want to enter in 2010 and teams that are already established."
Mercedes has also expressed interest in being the sole KERS supplier, should the FOTA team alliance agree to adopt a standard unit solution for 2010 and beyond.
'Fast' Hulkenberg eyes 2010 Williams seat
(GMM) The sport's next rookie is impatiently pacing at the gate of the formula one turnstile, Willi Weber insists.
Having guided Michael Schumacher into and out of the most successful career in F1 history, the 67-year-old German is now looking after the country's next hot talent.
"Nico was in a training camp for four weeks to prepare for this GP2 season," said Weber, referring to the 21-year-old reigning F3 Euroseries champion Nico Hulkenberg.
"I am convinced that in 2010 we will see him in formula one," he added.
Hulkenberg, to drive in GP2 for the ART team this year, is already Williams' test and reserve driver, and has won over the affection of the famous British outfit.
"Despite his age, Nico is immediately fast and clear in his head with each test lap," technical director Sam Michael told Germany's Sport Bild.
Australian Michael also recounted how Hulkenberg spent weeks in the Grove factory over the winter, interested and involved in the development of the FW31 car, including the much talked about double diffuser.
The contracts of Williams' current racers, Nico Rosberg and Kazuki Nakajima, expire this year.
Haug does not back 'winner takes all' system
(GMM) Norbert Haug this week admitted he does not support the move from the current points system to the controversial 'winner takes all' approach for 2010.
The FIA has quietly installed the system, where the 2010 champion will be the driver who wins the highest number of grands prix irrespective of his points tally, for next season.
Haug, Mercedes' competition boss, said recently that he hoped the governing body would consult the teams before trying again to include the system in the sporting regulations.
"That is yet to be discussed," he revealed to the German press on Tuesday.
"I do not believe that something should be changed if we can say that it is already good, and I believe that at the moment we have a very good formula one," Haug added.
The F1 teams alliance FOTA will meet in London on Wednesday.
Ferrari sticks with KERS for 'B' car
(GMM) While BMW drops KERS for Spain, Ferrari has confirmed that the controversial energy re-use technology will still feature on the F60 package this weekend in Barcelona.
Like BMW-Sauber, the famous Italian team is unveiling a major aerodynamic upgrade for the Circuit de Catalunya race.
It is believed that, because BMW's upgraded F1.09 features notably smaller sidepods, there was no longer room for the existing KERS battery packs.
"We're working on a new solution," team boss Mario Theissen confirmed to the German press. "Anyway, for Monaco KERS is not really compatible, and afterwards in Istanbul we will come with a new package.
"We are putting the whole KERS concept under the magnifying glass again."
He said it is unlikely that teams will abandon KERS altogether. "I am convinced that in the second half of the season the fastest car will have KERS," said Theissen.
It is believed that Renault has also abandoned KERS at least for the next two races, but the same is not true of Ferrari, despite its major car upgrade.
"For us KERS is a clear advantage. We saw that with the comparison test in Friday practice in Bahrain," said Felipe Massa, to be one of just four drivers in Spain this weekend with an active boost button.
Test driver Marc Gene, who shook down the 'B' Ferrari package at Vairano late last week, confirmed that KERS is still on board.
"We cannot just take it off the car," the Spaniard remarked to the sports daily Marca.
To offset his KERS weight disadvantage, Kimi Raikkonen's F60 this weekend will be six kilograms lighter than his teammate Massa's. From Monaco, Massa will also have a version of the lighter chassis.
Suzuki admits hopes for Super Aguri return
(GMM) Aguri Suzuki on Wednesday admitted he is interested in returning to formula one team ownership.
With Honda backing, the former Japanese F1 driver fielded his Super Aguri entry in 2006 and 2007, then succumbed to financial problems after just four races last year.
But Suzuki, 48, could now be among numerous parties interested in the sport's budget-capped future beginning in 2010.
"If it's physically possible I would certainly like to (return to F1)," the veteran of 88 grands prix told Wednesday's edition of the Sankei Sports newspaper.
An emotional Suzuki said during an emotional press conference last May that he saw the F1 world as a "piranha club and I kind of feel that I don't want to stick my fingers back in".
He added: "If someone wants to take part in F1, I'm going to advise them that he better not."