Alonso, Webber, slam F1 crisis (GMM) Two top formula one drivers on Wednesday hit out at the sport's state of dire politics, as more than half the current teams threaten to walk out over the dispute with the FIA.
As the governing body pushes ahead with controversial budget capping for next year, major competitors like Ferrari and Renault have vowed to quit, while legal action has been taking place in a Paris court.
"For me, it is strange no one sat down and thought how much we are damaging the sport, how much damage the sport has had in the last two months," 2005 and 2006 world champion Fernando Alonso told reporters in Monaco.
Sympathizing with the confusion being felt by fans, the Spaniard admits that even he is unsure how the stand-off will end.
"Last week when I was at home it was impossible to switch off because I didn't know if this would be my last time in Monaco," said the Renault driver.
Red Bull's Mark Webber agreed, admitting he is worried that the threat quits will be followed through.
On Wednesday, Alonso and also Kimi Raikkonen, who is under contract to Ferrari for 2010, confirmed that should the big teams depart, so too will they.
Webber, making note of the "serious egos" involved in the battle, said: "It's difficult to keep talking positive about it (F1) when we wash our clothes in public so often."
Copyright 1999-2016 | AutoRacing1 is an
independent internet online publication and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed
by IndyCar, NASCAR, FIA, Sprint, or any other series sponsor.
This material may not be published, broadcast, or redistributed without