>


Advertisement
Hot News
for your iPhone
for your iPad
Go to our forums to discuss this news
DATE News (chronologically)
05/27/09
f1
Teams tell Mosley to tear up 2010 rules  UPDATE It is believed that the progress made in Monaco involves the teams having agreed to remain committed to F1 until 2012 – as per the commercial rights-governing Concorde Agreement – provided Mosley defers the introduction of the cap until 2011 and agrees to other concessions regarding his increasingly under-fire governance of the sport. The teams are also demanding a greater share of the financial pie from television rights, controlled by Formula One Management (FOM) chief executive Bernie Ecclestone.

The ever-outspoken Nicki Lauda, meanwhile, has echoed the thoughts of current stars such as Lewis Hamilton and Felipe Massa in blasting the prevalence of political infighting in the top flight, and suggested the teams should have better informed the media about the way the talks have been going. Four of the present incumbents – Ferrari, Toyota, Renault and Red Bull – have threatened to walk away at the end of the season in the absence of a satisfactory resolution to the conflict, and the Austrian accused them of being ‘stupid’ in not keeping the press properly briefed of proceedings, leading to inaccurate and exaggerated stories about the extent of the crisis.

“For decades Formula 1 has been the stage for egocentric performers, and the cast grows every day,” the 60-year-old told Austrian newspaper the Kleine Zeitung. “This is a Formula 1 that is just embarrassing.”

05/24/09 (GMM)  As night fell in Monaco and teams packed up after Sunday's grand prix, the politics kept racing ahead.

FIA president Max Mosley had been highly visible in the paddock, telling reporters that a compromise was near.

But at the same time, a letter signed by every team principal was making its way to the 69-year-old Briton, and its command was clear: tear up the proposed 2010 rules or no FOTA member will meet Friday's deadline for team entries.

Earlier, it was suggested that independent teams including McLaren, Williams, Brawn and Force India had informed their colleagues in the Renault motor home meeting that they would indeed be lodging paperwork on time for next year's world championship.

FOTA's position, according to speculation, is complicated: off the agenda is an official budget cap, due mainly to many teams' objections to being audited on a regular and intrusive basis by the FIA.

Instead, it is believed they are promising substantial cost limitations beginning next year, to be self-policed.

Small and new teams, meanwhile, will be offered low-cost engines and drivetrains, and the carmakers may also be willing to assist them in other ways, such as the sharing of technical information.

It is also suggested that, as part of the satisfactory resolution of the dispute, the existing teams are willing to contractually commit to F1 until the end of 2012.

To reporters after Monaco's 78-lap race, Ferrari boss Stefano Domenicali confirmed the existence of the letter to Mosley.

"What we have asked is to go back to the rules of this year and then see together what we can do in order to make changes for next year," said the Italian.

In FOTA's view, the immediate revocation of the 2010 rules is necessary, because signing up by Friday's deadline means accepting the published rules, including the 'two-tier' element and voluntary 40m pounds sterling cap.

Hot News Archives
2000 2001 2002 2003
2004200520062007
2008200920102011
2012201320142015

Search Hot News
Search Help