Ecclestone proposes dropping budget cap and let the teams waste money like drunken sailors if they commit to F1 for the next 5 years
(GMM) Bernie Ecclestone believes major teams should not be subject to a budget cap next year.
While admitting that the controversial Max Mosley has done "a lot of good things" for formula one, the F1 chief executive's proposal would undermine the FIA president's position but end the FOTA standoff.
"I say, provided they confirm they will be in the championship for five years, they can spend what they like," the 78-year-old said at Silverstone on Saturday.
Ecclestone did not say how dropping the budget cap provisions would affect the small teams that have signed up for 2010, including new entrants Campos and Manor.
But clearly the Briton is most concerned about the big names including Ferrari and McLaren, who are refusing to lodge unconditional entries for next year's championship and vowing to establish a rival series.
"I have some sympathy for the teams. Nobody wants to be told how they can spend their money," Ecclestone told BBC radio.
The international media overnight reacted with concern that the crisis could irreparably damage or even destroy F1.
"It's an ugly fight, like an aristocratic family arguing about silver cutlery," said Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport.
The French daily Aujourd'hui added: "War has broken out between the FIA and FOTA, and formula one will pay for it."
And Austria's Der Standard said: "So far neither Max Mosley nor Luca di Montezemolo have lost face, but the loss will be on both sides if formula one disintegrates."
Copyright 1999-2014 | AutoRacing1 is an
independent internet online publication and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed
by IndyCar, NASCAR, FIA, Sprint, or any other series sponsor.
This material may not be published, broadcast, or redistributed without