Latest F1 news in brief
- Massa leaves hospital to rest at home
- Montezemolo was already working on Schu comeback
- Renault - no comment yet on Piquet/Grosjean reports
- Schu return helps Valencia ticket sales
- Montoya reveals phone call from Williams
- Campos denies struggle to launch 2010 team
Massa leaves hospital to rest at home
(GMM) Felipe Massa checked out of Sao Paulo's Albert Einstein hospital on Tuesday after a one-night stay and medical checks and will now rest at home, the Ferrari team confirmed.
The Italian outfit said the outcome of the tests were "negative", meaning that further surgery at this time is not necessary.
"The best thing for him now is to go back home, where he can calmly convalesce and rehabilitate," the 28-year-old's personal doctor Dino Altman said.
Altman also told reporters that a timetable for Massa's return to formula one cannot yet be devised.
Montezemolo was already working on Schu comeback
(GMM) Luca di Montezemolo has revealed that, even before Felipe Massa's crash, he was already planning to ask Michael Schumacher to return soon to formula one.
The Ferrari president told Italy's Oggi magazine: "I had been thinking for a long time of a third car for Michael."
Montezemolo said he therefore "immediately thought about" the 40-year-old German when he knew Brazilian Massa would need to be replaced at forthcoming races this season.
Montezemolo said Schumacher agreed immediately when asked to step in for the injured Massa, but F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone has revealed that he was surprised to hear the good news.
"I think I was as surprised as his manager Willi Weber," the F1 chief executive said.
Renault - no comment yet on Piquet/Grosjean reports
(GMM) Renault will comment formally on the Nelson Piquet situation "at the appropriate time", the French team has told the Swiss newspaper Tribune de Geneve.
Brazilian Piquet, 23, revealed this week in a stinging media statement that he has been fired by the Flavio Briatore-run outfit, but as yet Renault has not commented.
There is also the matter of his replacement for Renault to formalize, with the newspaper assuming that the Swiss born Frenchman Romain Grosjean will get the nod.
The Tribune de Geneve said Grosjean is currently on holiday. When asked to comment further on the situation, Renault answered: "Wait and see."
Schu return helps Valencia ticket sales
(GMM) Earlier dismayed by Fernando Alonso's race ban, organizers of the European grand prix are now delighted Valencia will host the F1 return of Michael Schumacher.
Organizer Valmor Sports' operations director Carlos Moreno has told the German news agency DPA that 10,000 extra tickets have been sold since the 40-year-old seven time world champion said he is to replace the injured Felipe Massa.
"The previous week the number was barely 6,500," he revealed.
Moreno said more than half of the 75,000 race-day tickets have now been sold.
"The news of his (Schumacher's) return has been known the same week of the possible absence of ... Fernando Alonso," he added. "Therefore the tickets sale has been slightly compensated."
Montoya reveals phone call from Williams
(GMM) Juan Pablo Montoya has revealed that he received a "special" phone call this week.
"Frank Williams called me this morning to say hi," the Colombian, who made his formula one debut for Sir Williams' British team in 2001, wrote on his Twitter page.
Now 33, Montoya races in NASCAR, after switching in 2006 mid-way through an acrimonious second season with McLaren.
He indicated his best memories of formula one were with Williams.
Referring to his phone call, Montoya added: "It was very special talking to him again. He is a very nice guy ... and no, I'm not going (back) to F1."
Campos denies struggle to launch 2010 team
(GMM) Adrian Campos has rejected rumors his Campos-Meta team may not make its formula one debut as scheduled in 2010.
Joan Villadelprat, whose entry Epsilon-Euskadi was not invited to join the grid by the FIA, suggested this week that of the three new teams USF1, Manor and Campos, the latter appears the least prepared for F1.
Asked about the rumors by the Spanish newspaper El Pais, Campos replied: "They are mistaken."
The former Minardi driver said trucks and motor homes are being bought, team personnel are being selected, the Valencia headquarters is being refurbished and chassis partner Dallara has promised the car will be ready for a 10 January test debut.
"There is no reason to doubt us. We will be in F1," Campos added, revealing an annual budget of between 45 and 50m euros.
He said it is too early to talk much about possible drivers, but revealed negotiations with Spaniards Pedro de la Rosa and Marc Gene because Campos Grand Prix needs "one experienced" racer alongside a "promising young guy".
For the second seat, El Pais mentioned candidates Vitaly Petrov, Bruno Senna, Sergio Perez and Karun Chandhok.