Latest F1 news in brief
- Schu to pick up bill for Ferrari test
- Schu 'among favorites' for win - Alesi (Written before announcement)
- Kart driver killed in German race
- Kubica, Alguersuari, to race karts next month
- Spanish officials to attend Renault ban appeal
Schu to pick up bill for Ferrari test
(GMM) Michael Schumacher is picking up the bill for his test in Ferrari's 2007 car this week, his spokeswoman has admitted.
"He can use the 2007 car again on his own initiative and cost. This won't be a public test," Sabine Kehm told the German news agency DPA.
Schumacher, 40, tested the F2007 on the last day of July, and on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week he will again be in action at Ferrari's Mugello circuit.
However, the restrictions of the in-season testing ban means that the car is privately owned and not in an up-to-date specification.
Italy's La Stampa newspaper, meanwhile, said Schumacher is having to fork out "tens of thousands of euros" for this week's test, because the Ferrari factory is in its period of total summer shut-down.
The newspaper said the two-day test in Italy will include a race simulation of 300kms, in order to evaluate the German's fitness and health of his neck.
Germany's Bild newspaper said a decision about whether Schumacher's comeback is given the green light will be made on Friday, following medical checks (see rumor page for announcement).
The seven time world champion has already been in attendance at the Bad-Nauheim Sportklinic this week.
Schu 'among favorites' for win - Alesi (Written be Schu's announcement)
(GMM) Jean Alesi does not subscribe to the theory that Michael Schumacher's three-years off the grid, and a slight neck injury, will necessarily prevent a winning return for the seven time world champion.
Frenchman Alesi, who was the German's predecessor at Ferrari, said the "few people" who are publicly doubting Schumacher, 40, are underestimating the skill of the winner of 91 grands prix.
Some betting agencies are posting odds of up to 16-1 for a comeback win for Schumacher.
"Michael is the champion of champions," Alesi told French radio RMC. "In my opinion he is among the favorites for the next grand prix," 45-year-old Alesi added.
Another former French F1 driver, Olivier Panis, added: "I am not surprised by his return. It is perhaps a bit risky but also courageous.
"I can understand how he is doing it for the challenge. Michael is a great champion and I am sure that he will be competitive.
"Anyway, he doesn't have anything to lose," Panis, who contested 158 grands prix until 2004, continued. "Nobody can take his titles away from him."
Kart driver killed in German race
Aug.11 (GMM) A 19-year-old Dutch kart racer has died after a crash during the German championship races in Dettenheim.
Thomas Knopper is believed to have broken his neck in the crash, in which three other drivers broke arms and feet, the German newspaper Bild reports.
Kubica, Alguersuari, to race karts next month
(GMM) F1 drivers Robert Kubica and Jaime Alguersuari will return to their roots next month to contest the karting world championships in Sarno (Italy).
The pair will race in the KZ1 class on 6 September, according to the German publication Auto Motor und Sport.
BMW-Sauber's Kubica has his own karting team, while Alguersuari, who made his formula one debut for Toro Rosso last month, is entered to race for the Intrepid team.
Spanish officials to attend Renault ban appeal
(GMM) Carlos Gracia, the highest ranking Spanish motor racing official, will travel to Paris next Monday to attend the appeal against Renault's Valencia race ban.
The Spanish sports newspaper AS said Carlos Gracia, president of the Real Federacion Espanola de Automoviliso (RFEDA), will be accompanied to the hearing by fellow Spaniard Joaquin Verdegay, a member of the World Motor Sport Council.
"If (the court) grants us the opportunity, we will set out the same arguments that we have put already in writing, to defend (Fernando) Alonso, the Valencia organizers and the fans," Gracia is quoted as saying.