Guthrie set to return to Firestone Indy Lights Firestone Indy Lights officials have lifted the suspension of driver Sean Guthrie, clearing the way for his return to the cockpit at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
Guthrie was suspended indefinitely following an on-track incident during the April 23 race at Kansas Speedway.
"We have spoken with Sean and he has shown he has learned from his actions in Kansas," said Tony Cotman, vice president of competition for the Indy Racing League and race director for the Firestone Indy Lights. "I believe Sean is a good driver and welcome his return this weekend in Homestead. I wish him the best of luck."
Guthrie , 21, will drive its No. 9 car for RLR/Andersen Racing in the Homestead-Miami 100 on Oct. 9 at Homestead-Miami Speedway. Guthrie will join Mario Romancini in the RLR/Andersen driver lineup with support from Car Crafters, IZOD, Andersen Racing and Andersen RacePark.
"We have known and liked the Guthrie family for many years, and we're pleased to be able to help Sean return to the series," said RLR/Andersen Racing co-owner John Andersen. "He is a good driver and he's very anxious to get his racing career back on track. Hopefully, he'll be able to have a good weekend and then build on that for 2010."
Guthrie has two previous starts in Firestone Indy Lights at Homestead. He finished 19th there in 2007 and 11th in 2008.
"I'm extremely excited to be back in the car and can't wait to work with the great Andersen Racing crew," Guthrie said. "I have raced against Andersen Racing in both the Star Mazda series and Firestone Indy Lights, and they have always had a tremendous team."
"Returning to Homestead is something I had been looking very forward to after my disappointing race last year. I went a lap down due to an issue during the warm-up lap, and then had to pass the leader to get my lap back. I eventually finish 11th, but it was by far the best car I had in 2008, and it was a race that I should have won."