Latest F1 news in brief
- Around the 'net: F1 on Thursday
- De la Rosa eyes F1 return and McLaren test seat
- Hamilton not worried by McLaren-Mercedes split
- Kimi may struggle to return from sabbatical - Prost
- Wolff reveals rejected Williams investors
Around the 'net: F1 on Thursday
Anthony Davidson hoping for 2010 race seat
Niki Lauda thinks Ross Brawn "not completely satisfied" with Jenson Button's 2009 season
Brawn aerodynamicist Loic Bigois wins award
Jean Alesi plays down expectations ahead of Jules Bianchi's Ferrari test
Watch the BBC's award-winning F1 coverage film
Gerhard Berger donates personal photos for Wings for Life charity auction (German)
Giancarlo Fisichella attends opening of Athens' first official Ferrari shop
Fernando Alonso hands out university scholarships with Santander boss Emilio Botin (Spanish)
Flavio Briatore's wife Elisabetta says baby boy will continue the "Briatore dynasty" (Italian)
Sebastiens Bourdais and Loeb testing Peugeot 908 sports car (French)
Nelson Piquet Jr joins Felipe Massa's Florianopolis kart race (Portuguese)
De la Rosa eyes F1 return and McLaren test seat
(GMM) Pedro de la Rosa has indicated he might want to combine a return to the F1 grid next year with an ongoing role as McLaren test driver.
The 38-year-old Spaniard, who has not had a regular race seat since 2002, has been linked with the new teams Campos and USF1.
De la Rosa said he is currently in talks "with everyone who has a free space" for next season including USF1. USF1's European base will be at Aragon, a Spanish facility whose design enjoyed de la Rosa's technical and sporting input.
"It's still early," he insisted. "There is no hurry to make a decision. It is true that USF1 and the Motorland (Aragon) have reached an agreement, but personally I do not know what is going to happen.
"I would be very happy to be at McLaren-Mercedes as the reserve driver and arrange my work to race in another team as well, or simply go to another team to race. I don't know; that is the answer," de la Rosa told the Spanish news agency EFE.
Adrian Campos said recently that de la Rosa's lack of sponsors made a 2010 deal unlikely, but de la Rosa said he has more to offer a team than money.
"With sponsors everything would be infinitely easier," he said, "but I believe that my experience in F1 is very important. My experience is my sponsor."
Hamilton not worried by McLaren-Mercedes split
(GMM) Lewis Hamilton insists he is not worried that McLaren's long works relationship with Mercedes is at an end.
The former world champion last year contractually tied himself to the Woking based squad until the end of 2012.
Mercedes-Benz will continue to power McLaren's formula one cars for now, but the Stuttgart marque's real allegiance will be to its own team in the wake of the Brawn GP buyout.
But when asked by Germany's Sport Bild if he is worried about the developments, 24-year-old Hamilton answered: "No, it doesn't concern us too much because until 2015 we are still getting the engines from Mercedes.
"And the relationship between McLaren and Mercedes will remain very good; even if I would prefer that nobody else gets the engine except us," he laughed.
"It is definitely the best (engine) in formula one," said Hamilton.
The Briton said he "suspected" that Mercedes was looking into doing its own thing.
"My personal relationship with Mercedes has become closer over the years and I wish them all the best. And it's great news for formula one that they are continuing like this while other manufacturers are getting out," said Hamilton.
Kimi may struggle to return from sabbatical - Prost
(GMM) Alain Prost has warned Kimi Raikkonen to think hard before taking a one-year break from formula one.
The quadruple world champion said the Finn might have trouble convincing team bosses to employ him in 2011.
"He will try to go rallying, but he is a bit lazy, likes to party and drink a little," Prost told Europe 1 radio. "When you take a year off you have to be extremely serious about it, preparing physically and mentally."
The Frenchman, now 54, took a sabbatical in 1992 before returning in 1993 to win his final title with Williams.
He said Raikkonen has lots of fans but also some detractors within the F1 paddock. "He sometimes had difficulty working as a team.
"Some Ferrari people in particular didn't appreciate his remoteness from the engineers. He is a superb driver," said Prost.
"But it may be difficult for him to get the people who are half-way down the middle about him to trust him again in 2011."
Wolff reveals rejected Williams investors
(GMM) Williams' new investor says he is honored to share ownership of the independent Grove based team.
Christian 'Toto' Wolff, a 37-year-old Austrian, has bought an undisclosed minority share of the outfit previously owned exclusively by Sir Frank Williams and Patrick Head.
An investor as well as a racing enthusiast, Wolff revealed to the German language Sportweek that Williams has in the past turned down the approaches of "renowned" potential investors.
"BMW wanted to have shares, Arabs and Icelandic investors did as well, and I know that this year some Russians showed some interest," he said.
"But Frank wanted people with racing spirit, because Williams stands for racing," added Wolff, who said he is personal friends with Gerhard Berger and particularly Alex Wurz.
Wolff runs his firm Marchsixteen Investments, and has raced in Formula Ford, sports cars and rallying, and lives in Switzerland with Scottish race driver Susie Stoddart.
His investments include the German racing car company HWA and the rally parts maker BRR Rallye, and a driver management company alongside Mika Hakkinen.