>


Advertisement
Hot News
for your iPhone
for your iPad
Go to our forums to discuss this news
DATE News (chronologically)
11/30/09
f1
Latest F1 news in brief
  • Theissen not staying in F1 with Sauber
  • VW considers F1 engine supply in 2012
  • Canada's F1 return confirmed
  • Schumacher admits 2010 return possible
  • Trulli says 2010 plans to be decided soon
  • Piquet says Campos seeking Spaniard
  • Wolff suggests Williams involvement to deepen
  • Brawn should have 'fought' to keep drivers - Barrichello
  • McLaren insists late arrival no problem for Button
  • Santander not ruling out de la Rosa backing
  • Alonso turned down Massa's kart race invitation

Theissen not staying in F1 with Sauber
(GMM)  Mario Theissen is leaving formula one because he will remain BMW's motor sport director in 2010 and beyond.

The 57-year-old German, who entered the sport with BMW in 2000 and became Sauber's team boss in 2006, had hinted he might stay with the Hinwil based squad in the wake of BMW's F1 withdrawal.

But he told Switzerland's Blick daily: "I will also be responsible for the motor sport activities of BMW in the future."

It is reported that BMW will on Saturday announce its motor sport program for 2010, amid rumors a Le Mans foray is possible.

Theissen said in other German reports: "Peter Sauber now takes control and will lead the (F1) team.

"For me it is an end and a new era (for Sauber) begins."

VW considers F1 engine supply in 2012
(GMM)  Volkswagen, the world's largest carmaker, is reportedly considering entering formula one in 2012 as an engine supplier.

The Wolfsburg based manufacturer's motor racing representative Hans-Joachim Stuck suggested to autosport.com that the possible introduction of a 'world engine' would signal an affordable and reliable route onto the grid.

"Building an engine and providing it to a team is the best way," he said.

Canada's F1 return confirmed
(GMM)  As was predicted last Friday, Canada's return to the formula one calendar in 2010 was announced officially.

The confirmation, guaranteeing annual Canadian grands prix at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve between 2010 and 2014, occurred during a press conference in Montreal.

"The return of formula one to Montreal attests to our sustained efforts and determination," said the city's mayor Gerald Tremblay in a statement.

"This win-win deal falls in line with the terms we set and the taxpayer's ability to pay and will create stability for the next five years," he added.

Schumacher admits 2010 return possible
(GMM)  Michael Schumacher has kept alive the speculation about his possible full-time return to formula one next year with Mercedes GP.

At a Brazilian kart event at the weekend in Florianopolis, the 40-year-old refused to reject the reports about his becoming Nico Rosberg's 2010 teammate.

"Right now I am concentrating only on these kart races," he is quoted as saying in international reports.

"Who knows?  Anything can happen," seven time world champion Schumacher added.

As for his fitness problems that prevented his return in injured Felipe Massa's Ferrari earlier this year, the German responded: "I don't have any problems with my neck.  It's 100 per cent."

Trulli says 2010 plans to be decided soon
(GMM)  Jarno Trulli has indicated that the uncertainty about his plans for the 2010 season is soon to end.

The Italian is likely to be on the grid next March, but he recently travelled to the United States for a test in a Sprint Cup NASCAR.

He said in a recent interview with Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport that he had put in a "very strong" performance with Michael Waltrip Racing.

"The team was pleasantly impressed because after only two runs I was already on the pace of the best ones," said 35-year-old Trulli, who has contested 219 grands prix since 1997.

"Another thing that impressed me is the need to have a very smooth style and this was my strong point," he added.

As for the future, Trulli - who has raced in F1 with the departing Toyota since mid 2004 - said only that "soon you will know everything".

Referring to his NASCAR test foray, he explained that "for now I have satisfied my curiosity".

As for F1, Trulli added: "The situation is evolving rapidly, so stay tuned."

Piquet says Campos seeking Spaniard
(GMM)  Nelson Piquet has admitted he would be "delighted" to return to F1 next year with Campos, but admits he is facing competition to become Bruno Senna's 2010 teammate.

A Senna/Piquet combination would remind fans of the country's highly successful F1 era of the 80s and 90s and be "wonderful for the Brazilian public", 24-year-old Piquet Jr is quoted as saying by France's Auto Hebdo at the weekend's Florianopolis kart race.

"Everything now depends on the team.  They seem to be looking for a Spanish driver," Piquet, whose father and namesake won three titles in the 1980s, before Bruno Senna's uncle Ayrton became another Brazilian triple world champion.

Wolff suggests Williams involvement to deepen
(GMM)  Christian 'Toto' Wolff has suggested he might ramp up his involvement with the Williams team in the next few years.

When the 37-year-old Austrian's new minority share of the Grove based outfit was recently announced, Williams declined to declare the precise percentage figure that is now owned by Wolff.

To the German language Der Standard newspaper, Wolff explains: "This is not a simple transaction in which I buy such-and-such a per cent.

"It was necessary to create a model within which I can expand my participation via options over the next few  years," the motor racing enthusiast and investor added.

Wolff denies that previous sole owners Sir Frank Williams and Patrick Head have decided to sell a slice of the team because it is in financial trouble.

"Frank and Patrick are both over sixty and must now think about the next generation and the future of their company.  They know that I, unlike many other potential investors, have a long-term interest.

"For Williams, it was a good first step towards securing the future, and for me it was an opportunity to enter with a top team: a win-win situation," added Wolff.

Brawn should have 'fought' to keep drivers - Barrichello
(GMM)  Brawn/Mercedes should have "fought" to keep the 2009 driver lineup for next season, according Rubens Barrichello.

The Brazilian veteran's teammate this year was the 2009 world champion Jenson Button, and together they collected 8 victories for the Brackley based squad as well as the constructors' title.

But Barrichello, 37, has switched to the Williams team, before Brawn was taken over by Mercedes and Button sensationally moved to McLaren to be Lewis Hamilton's new teammate.

Nico Rosberg has been signed for one Mercedes GP cockpit, and insiders expect the other to be filled by his German countryman Nick Heidfeld.  Neither have won a grand prix.

"Honestly, if I was the owner of the team I would have fought to keep both (2009) drivers because of the work that was done during the season," Barrichello is quoted as saying at the Florianopolis kart race by Spain's Diario AS.

He however denied that he had to move to Williams, the last team of his mentor Ayrton Senna, because Brawn did not want to keep him.

"My decision was taken very early.  It has been my childhood dream to race a Williams and for that reason I signed the contract quickly," said Barrichello, adding that Button's later departure was a "big surprise".

McLaren insists late arrival no problem for Button
(GMM)  Jenson Button's late arrival at McLaren will not disadvantage him alongside teammate Lewis Hamilton in 2010, the team's engineering director insists.

Because until very recently the 2009 world champion looked likely to stay at Brawn/Mercedes next season, McLaren's MP4-25 has been designed without the 29-year-old Briton in mind.

But Paddy Lowe told the Daily Express that Button's late arrival is not a problem.

"Although Jenson is a little taller than Lewis, we've used photographs to work out some rough measurements and we're happy that Jenson will comfortably fit," he said.

Lowe also denied that Hamilton's three seasons of experience at McLaren means that the 2010 single seater is custom-designed to suit his driving style.

"Not at all.  In fact, the opposite is true: you tend to design a racing car to be as neutral as possible," he said.

Santander not ruling out de la Rosa backing
(GMM)  An official of the Spanish bank Santander has refused to rule out stepping in to support Pedro de la Rosa's push to return to the formula one grid in 2010.

De la Rosa, currently McLaren's long time test and reserve driver, appeared at a sponsor event with Santander where a scholarship for young Spanish drivers was handed out.

38-year-old de la Rosa has been linked with moves to the Campos, USF1 and Sauber teams for 2010, but he said recently that the support of sponsors would make his quest for a seat "infinitely easier".

When presenting the scholarship to a young Spaniard, de la Rosa joked that he is also a "promising youngster" and asked Santander Espana's Enrique Garcia Candelas if he can also have a check.

"If it is found it is necessary to support him, we would do it," Candelas is quoted as saying by Spain's Diario AS.

Alonso turned down Massa's kart race invitation
(GMM)  Felipe Massa has revealed that he invited his 2010 Ferrari teammate Fernando Alonso to contest the weekend's charity kart race International Challenge of the Stars.

The event, won for the second time by Michael Schumacher, was also contested by F1 figures including Rubens Barrichello, Vitantonio Liuzzi, Nelson Piquet and Lucas di Grassi.

Massa, who flew by plane back to Sao Paulo after the race because his wife is imminently expecting their baby, said he wanted Spaniard Alonso to feature on the 2009 entry list.

"I invited Alonso to come here," he is quoted as saying by the Spanish news agency EFE.  "Not only this year, but also in previous years.

"I hope he sees it is an interesting competition and that next year he comes," Massa, 28, added.

Some of Massa's more recent comments have indicated that Ferrari's new Latin lineup is likely to be a fiery one, but the Brazilian said he thinks he and Alonso will share a "good relationship away from the tracks".

"Alonso is a great driver, everybody knows that," he continued.  "I believe we can be the best pairing in the championship."

But Massa, while insisting Alonso will be "good for the team", does not think the double world champion's arrival will change his own status within Ferrari.

"I don't think Alonso changes anything on my side or within Ferrari," he said.

Hot News Archives
2000 2001 2002 2003
2004200520062007
2008200920102011
2012201320142015

Search Hot News
Search Help