Schu confirms plan to stay in F1 until 2012
(GMM) Michael Schumacher on Wednesday said he does not intend to return to formula one for one year only.
|By 2012 look for Schumacher to have broken the magical 100 F1 win barrier and to add his record 8th (or more) F1 title. Records that no one will ever break. If he can do this in his 40's there will no longer be any doubt he was the greatest driver of all time.|
It was announced earlier that, after a three-year 'retirement' following a 16-year grand prix career, the seven time world champion will be Nico Rosberg's teammate at Mercedes GP in 2010.
He then told international media during a teleconference - whose quality was compromised due to the sheer number of global participants - that the intention is for more than the one-year contract that has been signed.
"We are talking about a three year deal," said the 40-year-old German. "It is not a one-off thing. We are obviously looking for continuity."
Schumacher also admitted that, after the intended three years in the cockpit - which will take him close to his 45th birthday - he could slot into an ambassadorial role for the German marque.
"For sure there is also the possibility to work as ambassador for Mercedes," he is quoted as saying by German media. "That also makes sense."
However, Schumacher also expressed some compunction about ending his 14-year relationship with Ferrari, with whom he secured his last five world championships and three subsequent years as advisor.
"I had a special relationship with Ferrari and would not have come back for any old team," he said. "The factors of (former Ferrari technical director) Ross Brawn and Mercedes-Benz were really crucial."
Schumacher clarified that his contract does not afford him undisputed number one status.
"There were always these rumors that I always have a certain status. I can confirm that it was never the case. The team always decided the status, and that will be no different now," said the record-holding winner of 91 grands prix.