Trulli scoffs at Ecclestone's 'shortcuts' proposal (GMM) [Ed Note: We agree with Trulli. This is probably the stupidest thing we have ever heard of in racing]
Jarno Trulli on Thursday scoffed at Bernie Ecclestone's proposal to insert "shortcuts" into grand prix circuits.
Although many observers wondered if the F1 chief executive was being serious, he told reporters at Madonna di Campiglio that giving drivers five chances per race to take a shortcut route would solve F1's perceived lack of overtaking and spice up the TV spectacle.
But while visiting Lotus' British headquarters for a seat fitting, F1 veteran Trulli told Reuters: "I think Bernie sometimes has very clear ideas but this (proposal) is just not possible in formula one.
"This is not a game, this is a sport," he added.
The 35-year-old, who since 1997 has contested nearly 220 grands prix, advised the sport to instead take the lesson of its American cousin, NASCAR.
"(NASCAR) have been very clever and very good in making sure that they keep the rules very consistent over the years and not changing them too much, otherwise people at home will get confused," said Trulli, who tested a Sprint Cup car late last year.
Copyright 1999-2013 | AutoRacing1 is an
independent internet online publication and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed
by IndyCar, NASCAR, FIA, Sprint, or any other series sponsor.
This material may not be published, broadcast, or redistributed without