>


Advertisement
Hot News
for your iPhone
for your iPad
Go to our forums to discuss this news
DATE News (chronologically)
05/08/10
f1
Latest F1 news in brief - 2
  • Ferrari insists F-duct not dangerous
  • New commercial manager for Rosberg
  • Barrichello wants more power from Cosworth
  • No F-duct for Lotus in 2010
  • Ralf Schumacher eyes F1 team boss role
  • Klien's pace played down by Bruno Senna
  • Home pole would be unlikely 'miracle' - Alonso
  • Ian Phillips, Grosjean, in paddock on Saturday
  • Klien to drive on 'several' more GP Fridays
  • Chandhok recovered from stomach bug

Ferrari insists F-duct not dangerous
(GMM)  Ferrari technical boss Aldo Costa has played down suggestions the team's F-duct solution is dangerous.

It is believed the cars driven by both Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa are still fitted with the downforce-spoiling innovation on Saturday following Friday's practice tests.

But unlike McLaren's system which is believed to be activated by the drivers' knees, the rumor in Barcelona is that Alonso and Massa - like the Sauber drivers - are triggering the airflow on the straights with their left hand.

Often at the same time, the drivers are using their right hand to then make adjustments to the brake balance.

"As you know, drivers are trained to use several systems in the car," said Costa.  "They normally use the front flap adjuster, they normally use brake balance.

"Last year they used the KERS system, so they can also use the F-duct with no big issues," he insisted.

New commercial manager for Rosberg
(GMM)  Nico Rosberg has begun working with a new manager.

Werner Heinz worked alongside Nick Heidfeld for much of the German's grand prix career.

According to Germany's Express, Heinz will now concentrate on commercial aspects for Mercedes race driver Rosberg.

The 24-year-old already has a personal cap sponsor -- the jeweler brand Thomas Sabo.

Rosberg, meanwhile, played down claims Mercedes got an unfair pre-race advantage by testing its updated W01 car at Rockingham last week.

"Oh, what?" said the German.  "Those few laps on rock-hard tires ..."

Barrichello wants more power from Cosworth
(GMM)  Rubens Barrichello has admitted he would like more performance from the Cosworth engine.

According to Brazil's Globo, the Williams driver is expecting a step forward from the returning British supplier in Turkey later this month.

"We have some problems with the engine power," Barrichello admitted.  "We have not extracted the full potential of the car so far.

"We hope that Cosworth improve the power in the European season, but it's still early.  They've already changed a few things.

"There should be good developments for Istanbul and I'm already looking forward to that race," he said.

No F-duct for Lotus in 2010
(GMM)  Lotus is not about to join those teams pushing hard to develop a so-called F-duct solution for its 2010 car, according to Finland's Turun Sanomat.

The new Malaysian-backed team has made a big step forward with a revised package for the Spanish grand prix, but driver Heikki Kovalainen thinks the focus should soon turn to 2011.

"The sooner we begin to focus on the next car, the better," said the Finn.

"It is not that we are wasting resources with this car, but as soon as the confirmation of the rules comes we should turn everything to a new car," he added.

Meanwhile, it is rumored in Barcelona that F-duct systems could be banned at the end of the season.

Ralf Schumacher eyes F1 team boss role
(GMM)  Ralf Schumacher has not ruled out launching a bid to become involved in the management of a formula one team.

The former grand prix winner is in the Barcelona paddock this week as the team principal of the new GP3 team RSC Mucke, which has performed strongly in Spain.

Asked by Germany's Bild-Zeitung, the 34-year-old refused to rule out one day turning his management skills to F1, where he won 6 of his 182 career grands prix.

"I am very interested in the view from outside of the cockpit," DTM driver Schumacher admitted.

Klien's pace played down by Bruno Senna
(GMM)  Bruno Senna has played down suggestions he was blown away by Christian Klien in Barcelona on Friday.

The pair shared the Circuit de Catalunya in morning practice, when the experienced Austrian Klien took over the cockpit usually driven by Senna's fellow rookie teammate Karun Chandhok.

At the end of the session, Klien's best lap was five tenths faster than Senna's.

"There were two reasons," Brazilian Senna told Germany's Motorsport-Magazin.com.

"First, he had the fast-shift transmission in his car, which is worth about two and a half tenths per lap, and secondly I had a problem with my engine cover," he insisted.

Home pole would be unlikely 'miracle' - Alonso
(GMM)  Ferrari's Fernando Alonso has likened the prospect of being on pole position in Barcelona to a "miracle".

The Red Bulls appear clearly the fastest in Spain so far, but Sebastian Vettel has denied claims the RB6s will dominate the entire weekend.

But although the Ferrari is sporting technical updates this weekend, Spaniard Alonso does not think they are enough to track down Red Bull's superior one-lap pace.

"You don't have miracles from one race to the next," he is quoted by Spanish reports.

"Whoever thought we were going to just close the gap and beat Red Bull were wrong," added Alonso.

Ian Phillips, Grosjean, in paddock on Saturday
(GMM)  Ian Phillips on Saturday admitted he is looking for a new job in formula one.

The Silverstone based team's long time director of business affairs left Force India earlier this year after a falling-out with boss Vijay Mallya.

The Briton was in the Barcelona paddock on Saturday.

"I've just enjoyed my first holiday for 40 years," said Phillips, who joined the team's original guise at its inception as Jordan in the early 90s.

"I don't miss the travel at all, but I need to work so we'll see what opportunities arise," he added.

Also seen in the Barcelona paddock on Saturday was 2009 Renault driver Romain Grosjean.

Klien to drive on 'several' more GP Fridays
(GMM)  Christian Klien has confirmed he will drive on the Fridays of grands prix "several" more times in 2010.

The Austrian has inked a contract with the new Spanish team HRT to add experience to the rookie race lineup of Bruno Senna alongside Karun Chandhok.

Having driven on Friday morning in Spain, mere minutes after Jean Todt and Bernie Ecclestone cleared the path for the renewal of his super license, Klien would not confirm if he is being paid for the role or is backed by paying sponsors.

He told Austria's Salzburger Nachrichten: "The deal is for this season, I will be used on several Fridays but it is not decided how many or at which races."

And after Senna made clear his view that the race drivers should be given all the practice laps by HRT, the Brazilian insists he has not fallen out with Klien.

"We know each other from the Le Mans series last year and have no problems.  If he can contribute with his experience, that's good for the team because we need all the help we can get at this stage," said Senna.

Chandhok recovered from stomach bug
(GMM)  Karun Chandhok says he is "finally recovered" from a stomach bug that has been causing him problems so far in Spain.

We reported earlier that while the Indian rookie had to spend most of Thursday in his Barcelona hotel, he has been feeling better ever since.

He drove his HRT car on Friday afternoon, and told Reuters on Saturday morning: "I feel better now, fully recovered.

"I went to Munich on Monday and I ate something there.  I have been really ill since.  All of Tuesday I was in bed, I just couldn't move," said Chandhok.

Hot News Archives
2000 2001 2002 2003
2004200520062007
2008200920102011
2012201320142015

Search Hot News
Search Help