Latest F1 news in brief
- 'Nothing wrong' with Vettel's old car - Webber
- Experts predict trouble looming for Hamilton vs. Button
- Next three races key to Ferrari's 2010 campaign
- Still no F-duct for Renault's 2010 car
- Sutil eyes 2011 Renault seat alongside Kubica
- Texas F1 officials to attend British GP
- Silverstone cold and drizzly on Thursday morning
- Red Bull going greener
'Nothing wrong' with Vettel's old car - Webber
(GMM) Mark Webber has played down suggestions his allocation of chassis for the British grand prix demonstrates he is not treated equally with his teammate.
After his Barcelona and Monaco-winning car was damaged in his spectacular Valencia crash, the Australian will drive 'Luscious Liz' at Silverstone -- the chassis humorously named by Sebastian Vettel at the beginning of the season.
But after sub-standard performances in May, Vettel was given a new car in Turkey.
Red Bull has now repaired Luscious Liz.
"There was nothing wrong with it. It's fine. It's all we've got anyway," Webber told reporters at the team's Milton Keynes factory on Wednesday.
Also fully fit for this weekend's race is the Australian himself, despite some minor injuries caused by his backflip crash with Heikki Kovalainen's Lotus.
"I had a bit of whiplash, and I bashed my right foot pretty hard on the top of the chassis," he revealed.
"I knew straight away that I'd hit my big toe pretty hard (but) you could injure yourself more in your lounge room."
Meanwhile, Webber made clear his opinion after Lotus technical boss blamed him for the Valencia crash.
When British reporter Byron Young, of the Mirror, virtually launched his car whilst driving the Red Bull simulator, Webber observed wryly: "You didn't even have any shitboxes to avoid."
Experts predict trouble looming for Hamilton vs. Button
(GMM) Red Bull figures have joined Damon Hill in predicting that trouble is on the horizon for the relationship between McLaren's British teammates.
"It's just been on simmer so far and it will start to boil over," 1996 world champion Hill said earlier this week.
Mark Webber on Wednesday admitted that his own pairing at Red Bull with Sebastian Vettel is not made in heaven, particularly in the wake of their Istanbul crash.
And while world champions Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button appear friendly at present, "It will take only one small incident for things to flare up between them," Red Bull boss Christian Horner thinks.
"They won't be having so much of a love-in when that happens," he added.
Horner's 'love-in' comment is probably a reference to the series of viral videos distributed by McLaren and its sponsors depicting the teammates in a range of affable activities.
"I believe they are working hard to put up a bit of smoke and mirrors," said Webber. "But those two are racing each other.
"They have not had the sort of incident Seb and I had -- yet.
"Lewis and Jenson are always racing at the front and it's inevitable that it's going to happen, because of what's at stake and both are hungry drivers," he added.
Next three races key to Ferrari's 2010 campaign
(GMM) The next three races could be the tipping point in Ferrari's 2010 world championship campaign.
Recently struggling with the 2010 car, the F10 was substantially upgraded for the recent Valencia race, and more improvements are in the pipeline for the forthcoming races prior to the sport's August break.
"For sure a win would be very important," confirmed team boss Stefano Domenicali, referring to the forthcoming string of races in Britain, Germany and Hungary.
Silverstone marks the mid-point of the 2010 season, and the highest placed Ferrari driver is Fernando Alonso, with a 29 point deficit.
And the Northamptonshire venue will be a telling test for the F10, given that at the similar Turkey layout in May, the drivers were notably off the pace.
"So if the F10 works well here, we will know we are on the right road," said Felipe Massa, who is another 31 points behind his Spanish teammate.
The Brazilian said more developments are scheduled for the back-to-back Hockenheim and Hungary rounds.
"These three races will be very important and we will be pushing very hard to try and get ahead of our competitors," said Massa.
Still no F-duct for Renault's 2010 car
(GMM) Another grand prix will pass this weekend without Renault having an F-duct on its 2010 car.
It was rumored two weeks ago that the Enstone based team was on the verge of debuting the downforce-stalling concept, and team boss Eric Boullier confirmed it will appear "very soon".
Renault fell behind with the F-duct - pioneered by McLaren and now also run by Ferrari, Sauber, Red Bull, Williams, Force India and Mercedes - when it initially decided earlier this year that it would not waste resources on the innovation.
France's Auto Hebdo reveals that the R30s are not fitted with F-ducts in the Silverstone garages.
Boullier confirmed the news, adding that the concept is still being worked on and should make its debut appearance "very soon".
Sutil eyes 2011 Renault seat alongside Kubica
(GMM) Adrian Sutil has declared his interest in completing Renault's formula one driver lineup for 2011.
The Enstone based team on Wednesday announced it is retaining Robert Kubica, but no mention was made of the Pole's current teammate, the Russian rookie Vitaly Petrov.
Although having performed solidly so far in 2010, it is Petrov's millions in funding that ultimately secured him the seat, including the alliance with carmaker Lada.
But it is rumored that Renault is working on a major sponsorship deal with MasterCard for 2011, in a bid to be able to secure the best possible teammate for Kubica as the team eyes a return to championship contention.
German Sutil, 27, recently said he would be happy to stay at Force India next year, but is now quoted by Germany's Sport Bild: "Renault for me would be more than just an alternative."
Sport1.de reports that Sutil had his first contact with Renault team boss Eric Boullier at Valencia two weeks ago.
Timo Glock, Nick Heidfeld and 2007 world champion Kimi Raikkonen are also being linked with Petrov's Renault seat.
Texas F1 officials to attend British GP
(GMM) Leading figures of the 2012 United States grand prix in Texas will be trackside at Silverstone this weekend.
According to the local Austin newspaper Statesman, promoter Tavo Hellmund as well as Texas comptroller Susan Combs will be at the British grand prix.
Combs' role in the race bid is in overseeing the state's $25 million in annual funding, but a spokesman for her office said she is paying for the personal trip herself.
The news is amid reports that a second American F1 project is in the works, and skepticism that Austin can get its purpose-built circuit built in time.
Richard Suttle, the Austin project's lawyer, revealed to the Chronicle newspaper that the official announcement by Bernie Ecclestone in May was a surprise.
"We had no idea it was coming, and it started a firestorm," said Suttle. "Ever since, it's been the old term, 'drinking water from the fire hose'."
Silverstone cold and drizzly on Thursday morning
(GMM) As if right on cue for the beginning of the often weather-affected event, drizzle and cold air has greeted the formula one world at Silverstone early on Thursday morning.
Before the press meets the drivers, the skies above the British grand prix venue are dim and cloudy, even though a day of rain is not forecast.
Indeed, the outlook for the three days of track action beginning on Friday looks better, with temperatures expected to be in the mid 20s.
"Sunshine or rain; either is good for me," smiled Rubens Barrichello, who on Wednesday took part in BBC motoring show Top Gear's popular 'Star in A Reasonably Priced Car' segment.
The program will air on Sunday evening.
Red Bull going greener
Red Bull Racing is to work closely with Siemens plc to reduce the team’s carbon footprint, energy use and waste. In an exclusive, multi-year agreement Siemens now becomes the Formula One team’s partner for efficient technology.
Christian Horner, Team Principal, said: “Energy Saving is currently an important topic in F1. Teams have demonstrated their commitment to reducing carbon emissions with the recent announcement of FOTA’s carbon calculation and reduction program. Our new agreement with Siemens plc demonstrates our desire to reduce Red Bull Racing’s factory emissions and significantly cut our company’s carbon footprint – we’re pleased to be able to do this with a company such as Siemens plc.” The team is looking to decrease its energy usage by improving its building equipment, systems and processes. Siemens will carry out audits on manufacturing equipment and processes, building management, heating, lighting and air conditioning systems at the Milton Keynes Factory, then provide technology and solutions to help energy savings and financial performance.
Red Bull Racing already has close ties to Siemens Product Life Cycle Management (PLM) which provides software for the team’s designers and engineers to virtually model and manage every part of the car.
Juergen Maier, head of industry for Siemens plc, said: “We are delighted to extend our work with Red Bull Racing. Using our expertise in energy efficient products and solutions we hope to help Red Bull Racing set the pace in greener manufacturing in the Formula 1 industry. With Siemens PLM software helping the Red Bull Racing car to be as efficient as possible on the track, the new partnership will now also enable greener, efficient operations to be number one off the track!”