Webber 'declares war' on Vettel and team
(GMM) The international press saw Sunday's events as Mark Webber fighting hard to avoid being a number two driver.
The Australian said his win at Silverstone was "not bad" for teammate Sebastian Vettel's subordinate, before revealing he would not have signed up for 2011 if he thought he would be playing second fiddle.
Asked by the Guardian if he stands by those comments now, Webber declared: "Absolutely", adding that the race win was "an Australian response, a little upper-cut".
After losing his new front wing to Vettel before qualifying, Italy's authoritative sports daily La Gazzetta dello Sport said Sunday was indeed the 33-year-old's "revenge".
Spain's El Pais added: "He is determined to fight against his teammate Vettel, and if necessary against even the whole team."
L'Equipe in France said Webber has "declared war" on the situation, Italy's Corriere dello Sport agreeing that he "was never a second driver and never will be".
There have been suggestions he might try to break his newly-signed 2011 contract, and as the only driver to have won three grands prix this year, he would not find himself without a job.
But Webber said: "I am more than happy with where I am next year once we have some discussions this week."
It is unlikely those discussions will involve Vettel, despite Webber admitting he would rescue the 23-year-old if he was drowning in the ocean.
But as for whether he would take Vettel for a drink at the pub, perhaps his own Stag Inn not far from Silverstone, Webber replied: "Definitely not.
"We don't want the German national anthem played in Germany (in two weeks)," he added.
So far, Vettel's has been the quietest voice in the 'wing-gate' saga, declaring before leaving Silverstone: "I have an opinion but I am keeping that for myself."