Latest F1 news in brief
- All F1 radio traffic now eligible for broadcast
- Senna not confirming Hispania/Toyota reports
- F1 rivals say Alonso best current driver
- No Renault F-duct in Germany or Hungary
- Grosjean lauds Renault's progress since 2009
- New team manager for Williams, new sponsor for Red Bull
All F1 radio traffic now eligible for broadcast
(GMM) Formula one teams have lost the ability to censor pit radio messages during official track sessions.
Recently, the sport's broadcasting officials gained access to the radio feeds, but the pitwall retained the ability to press a button to censor certain messages.
Germany's Auto Motor und Sport reports that, as of this weekend's Hockenheim event, all radio broadcasts will be eligible to for the worldwide television feed.
A short delay will mean that radio messages containing swearing can be edited.
Australia's Mark Webber said at Hockenheim that if he had doused his "not bad for a number two" comment with colorful language at Silverstone, "maybe it would never have got run".
Also joking, Red Bull boss Christian Horner said Webber's comments had been the biggest lesson of the British grand prix.
"Turn the radio off after the race!" he said.
Mercedes' Ross Brawn, however, has warned that not allowing some control of the radio messages will lead to teams speaking "in code" about important strategic conversations.
A new approach is also being applied to in-race radio conversations between the FIA and the teams, due to the confusion in the wake of Fernando Alonso's illegal pass on Robert Kubica at Silverstone.
Where previously, race director Charlie Whiting would make recommendations about the competitor's actions, an actual decision will now be made within 90 seconds and displayed to the team via the pitwall monitor.
Kubica is quoted by Turun Sanomat: "I would have given the place back without being asked -- it is my way of thinking.
"There's no point taking the risk about what happened," he added.
Senna not confirming Hispania/Toyota reports
(GMM) Bruno Senna will not confirm whether HRT is set to collaborate with Toyota's former formula one team.
Earlier, Cologne based Toyota Motorsport also refused to comment, and now Brazilian Senna added: "I don't think anything is signed.
"There is a lot to plan. First, the team needs to get to its feet. Everybody is working hard to have the right support and the best staff. Making plans is good.
"How it will be put into action is not yet sure," he is quoted by Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.
Senna said at Hockenheim on Thursday that, after sitting out Silverstone, he is only cautiously optimistic that he is now back in the Hispania car for the remainder of 2010.
"The most important thing for me is to have a cockpit for next year. We need to wait," he continued, explaining that he arrived at Silverstone on Thursday expecting to drive, but ended up watching the race from home on the internet.
For now, he is happy to be back to work, but disappointed that earlier expectations for mid-season car upgrades have not come about.
"Our plans depend increasingly on the financial situation," he said.
"If Virgin are really three or four tenths faster here, as they claim, then we will not be able to fight them," added Senna.
F1 rivals say Alonso best current driver
(GMM) Fernando Alonso's track rivals have voted him the best driver currently in formula one.
The finding was published by the German newspaper Bild am Sonntag, who provided the anonymous questionnaire to each of the 24 race drivers.
Ayrton Senna was voted the best driver of all time by a large margin, with seven time world Michael Schumacher in second place.
The most aggressive driver is Lewis Hamilton, and the McLaren driver was also tipped by his rivals to fight for the 2010 title against Sebastian Vettel.
Monaco was voted as the most dangerous circuit.
As for the 'most beautiful woman' in the paddock, one driver voted for Nico Rosberg, whose Williams mechanics last year nicknamed him 'Britney' (Spears).
Most drivers, however, voted for the French reporter Marion Jolles.
No Renault F-duct in Germany or Hungary
(GMM) An F-duct system will not be seen on Renault's 2010 car until the Belgian grand prix late next month.
Robert Kubica said he is worried about Hockenheim this weekend, because the absence of the downforce-stalling concept means Renault is having to run less rear wing to keep up with the other cars.
"This could cost us in the corners," said the Pole.
Team boss Eric Boullier admitted recently it is "very likely" the system will not be seen at a grand prix until after the back-to-back events in Germany and Hungary.
The authoritative Auto Hebdo publication now confirms the news, revealing that Renault's F-duct will only be ready after the August break.
Grosjean lauds Renault's progress since 2009
(GMM) Romain Grosjean has lauded Renault's progress since he left the French team last year.
The Swiss born Frenchman, back in the F1 paddock this weekend for the GP2 support race, made his grand prix debut in 2009 to replace the ousted Nelson Piquet.
In the eight months since his last race with Renault, the team has emerged from the crashgate scandal and is now mostly owned by Genii Capital.
"Renault, bravo," Grosjean, 24, told France's Auto Hebdo.
"Compared to the situation they were in last year, nobody would have expected them to be where they are now.
"They have stepped up, bringing improvements to every race. Even on a bad weekend, they are never very far away," added Grosjean, appointed for his GP2 duties at Hockenheim by the Genii-controlled Gravity management arm.
He admitted he will use the opportunity this weekend to sound out any openings with F1 teams, but insisted that he does not regret agreeing to step into the sport with the troubled Renault team last season.
"No, and anyway, we didn't have a choice. On the day it was proposed to get into F1, 'no' was not an option," he said.
"I don't regret anything, or anything that has come afterwards," added Grosjean.
New team manager for Williams, new sponsor for Red Bull
(GMM) Williams has confirmed reports that Dickie Stanford is returning to grands prix in the team manager role.
Stanford, who previously held the role until he moved to a factory-based job in 2005, is replacing Tim Newton, who will now be based at Williams' Grove headquarters as production manager.
At a very wet Hockenheim on Friday morning, Red Bull announced a new sponsorship deal with LG, already F1's official technology partner.
The Korean electronics giant's logo will appear in three places on the RB6 car, as well as on the drivers' overalls and helmet visors.
And at the press conference, LG's Seoul-based marketing chief Dermot Boden played down continuing speculation that South Korea's inaugural grand prix in October might have to be delayed.