Fifth success for Edoardo Mortara
With his fifth victory of this season, Edoardo Mortara (Signature) extended his lead in the points’ standings of the Formula 3 Euro Series. Currently, the 23-year old Italian has 23 points more than Marco Wittmann (Signature), who is runner-up in the drivers’ classification. At the 4.307 kilometers long track of Zandvoort, located in the North Sea dunes, Mortara scored a lights-to-flag victory. Finn Valtteri Bottas (ART Grand Prix) and German Marco Wittmann occupied second and third place respectively.
|Race 2 - Teammates Edoardo Mortara and Marco Wittmann disagreeing about the same part of the tarmac|
Mortara laid the foundation for his success at the start when he immediately took the lead. Behind him, Valtteri Bottas, who has already won the ‘Masters of Formula 3’ at Zandvoort twice, pipped Marco Wittmann on the way to the first corner and thus claimed second place. In this order, they crossed the finish line after 19 laps. Behind Alexander Sims (ART Grand Prix) and Roberto Merhi (Mücke Motorsport), Columbian Carlos Muñoz (Mücke Motorsport) was the best-placed rookie in sixth place.
Result Race 1:
1. Edoardo Mortara (I) - Dallara F309-Volkswagen - 19 laps in 29:38,034
2. Valtteri Bottas (FIN) - Dallara F308-Mercedes - at 0,995
3. Marco Wittmann (D) - Dallara F308-Volkswagen - at 1,406
4. Alexander Sims (GB) - Dallara F308-Mercedes - at 16,474
5. Roberto Merhi (E) - Dallara F308-Mercedes - at 16,829
6. Carlos Munoz (COL) - Dallara F308-Mercedes - at 18,033
7. Laurens Vanthoor (B) - Dallara F308-Volkswagen - at 18,615
8. Antonio Felix da Costa (P) - Dallara F308-Volkswagen - at 19,325
Second season victory for Ant¢nio Félix da Costa
In a duel that remained exciting until the final second, Ant¢nio Félix da Costa (Motopark Academy) prevailed in the twelfth season round of the Formula 3 Euro Series. For the Portuguese, who only joined the Euro Series this season, this was already his second race win of the year following his recent success at the Nürburgring. At the 4.307 kilometers long Circuit Park Zandvoort, Félix da Costa finished ahead of Signature’s Laurens Vanthoor and Roberto Merhi (Mücke Motorsport), who were second and third. In spite of his first non-point-scoring finish of the season, Edoardo Mortara (Signature) remains in the lead of the points’ standings.
Ant¢nio Félix da Costa turned his pole position into the race lead, which he kept until the finish. In the process, Laurens Vanthoor kept him under pressure for much of the race, but the Portuguese didn’t make any mistakes. For Edoardo Mortara, the race was less joyful. Following a collision with Marco Wittmann (Signature) and a subsequent spin, he dropped back to the far end of the field in the early stage of the race already. With fast lap times, he made his way up into eleventh place again, but he didn’t make it into the points.
Result Race 2:
1. Antonio Felix da Costa (P) - Dallara F308-Volkswagen - 26 laps in 40:53,306
2. Laurens Vanthoor (B) - Dallara F308-Volkswagen - at 0,265
3. Roberto Merhi (E) - Dallara F308-Volkswagen - at 1,533
4. Carlos Munoz (COL) - Dallara F308-Mercedes - at 2,901
5. Alexander Sims (GB) - Dallara F308-Mercedes - at 11,099
6. Marco Wittmann (D) - Dallara F308-Volkswagen - at 11,347