Latest F1 news in brief
- Senna expecting to keep HRT seat for now
- Rome GP will hurt Monza says circuit director
- Hulkenberg hopeful on new Williams deal
- Whitmarsh not expecting flexi sagas at Monza
Senna expecting to keep HRT seat for now
(GMM) Bruno Senna at Monza said he is expecting to keep his race seat at HRT for the rest of the 2010 season. The Brazilian sat out the British grand prix in July in deference to the highly-sponsored Sakon Yamamoto, but after returning at Hockenheim insisted he will finish the season with the struggling Spanish team.
But Yamamoto, now replacing earlier HRT regular Karun Chandhok, said recently that while he is staying put in 2010, he is not sure whether Senna or Chandhok will be in the sister car.
"I am assuming I will be in the car until the last race," Senna said. I have a firm place all the way to Abu Dhabi."
But beyond that, he admitted his place for the 2011 season is not yet secure.
"I would like it to be in the bag, but that's not the case," said the 26-year-old. "Hopefully I can find a place soon. All I can do is my best, as I have done, and hope it's good enough to continue in formula one," added Senna.
He also said he is refusing to look on the negative side of HRT's situation, with a lack of finances meaning the F110 is not being developed.
"It's not really ideal but I'm making the best of it," Senna explained. "That's the only way to be in this situation. If I look at it negatively, I'll lose motivation. I need to be doing my best for whoever will hire me (for 2011)."
Rome GP will hurt Monza says circuit director
(GMM) A director of the Monza circuit has reacted angrily to Friday's news that Rome will begin hosting a formula one race in 2012 or 2013.
The contract was reportedly signed at the famous Autodromo Nazionale di Monza by Bernie Ecclestone on Friday, guaranteeing at least five street races if an agreement can be found with the authorities of the Italian capital's EUR district.
"Where once it was difficult to find sponsors, now it will be impossible," Monza director Enrico Ferrari is quoted by La Stampa newspaper.
"The big companies have a budget, so if today they were giving us 100, tomorrow they will give us 50 and Rome 50," he said.
Previously, Monza and another Italian venue - Imola - shared an annual presence on the F1 calendar, but Ferrari insists that times have changed.
"Take the example of Spain: Barcelona has been in crisis because of Valencia.
"The old Catalan race lost 9 million euros in 2010. All of Europe is in distress with F1.
"Germany has abandoned having two races and Spa-Francorchamps were 8,000 spectators down compared with last year," he complained.
Hulkenberg hopeful on new Williams deal
(GMM) Nico Hulkenberg has indicated he is close to extending his stay at Williams, but admitted that Ferrari would be his dream team.
The reigning GP2 champion has had a mixed debut season in formula one, but the British team Williams seems likely to retain both the 23-year-old German and Brazilian veteran Rubens Barrichello.
Hulkenberg's manager Willi Weber said recently he is close to arranging a new Williams deal for his young charge.
"I want to stay with Williams and I have heard only positive things," Hulkenberg told Sport1 at Monza.
"I assume that I am continuing."
He admitted it has been a difficult first season in F1.
"We did not have the speed we thought we would have from the start. It's been a bit disappointing and for me as a rookie, quite difficult," said Hulkenberg.
But he said the situation has been improving of late, and that Williams has been supportive.
"I have received a lot of praise, we are continuing to improve and I'm learning a lot at the moment."
He was asked, however, if an offer from the self-styled German national team, Mercedes GP, would be tempting.
"There are many attractive employers," answered the young German. "But my ideal one is more Ferrari, really, than Mercedes.
"There's no timetable, but of course my ultimate goal is to be world champion."
Whitmarsh not expecting flexi sagas at Monza
(GMM) The flexible wing saga will not be a loud topic during the Italian grand prix weekend, Martin Whitmarsh has predicted.
New flexible floor tests for the Monza event required minor car modifications up and down pitlane, and when discussing flexing wings during Friday's FIA press conference, a minor spat broke out between technical bosses for the Ferrari, Red Bull and McLaren teams.
But McLaren team boss Whitmarsh said the issue should not be a problem.
"I haven't seen anything suspicious," the Briton is quoted by Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.
"But it is true we have been concentrating more on our own program.
"I know the FIA did some tests after (Friday) practice and I hope that the subject is not a big problem this weekend," added Whitmarsh.