Latest F1 news in brief - Tuesday
- Toro Rosso test F-duct again for Singapore debut
- Webber manager Briatore says Red Bull must assign no.1
- Five-way title sprint thanks to Hamilton gaffe - Lauda
- F1 drivers mark end of formula BMW series
- Line-up delay due to 'Hulkenberg situation' - Barrichello
Toro Rosso test F-duct again for Singapore debut
(GMM) Toro Rosso is back in action this week as the Italian team bids to get its blown exhaust and F-duct up and running as soon as possible.
At Monza on Friday morning, six grands prix from the end of the 2010 season, the Faenza based squad became the last of the established teams to run the technical innovations.
"We are just beginning to test it and it still requires a lot of work," said Sebastien Buemi, who debuted the new parts during a straight line test at Vairano last week.
The Swiss said the F-duct was taken off the STR5 "after a few laps" at Monza. "It was never our intention to run it for the (whole) weekend," confirmed chief engineer Laurent Mekies.
It now emerges that the F-duct will make another appearance at Vairano this Thursday, this time in the hands of Buemi's teammate Jaime Alguersuari.
"Maybe we can have it on the car for Singapore," said Buemi.
"If we continue like this I hope to be able to fight fair and square with the Williams and Mercedes in the final races," he added.
Webber manager Briatore says Red Bull must assign no.1
(GMM) Red Bull must follow Ferrari's lead and appoint a clear number 1 for the remaining races of 2010.
That is the advice of Flavio Briatore, the former boss at Renault, where Fernando Alonso won his two world championships in 2005 and 2006.
Although currently banned from formula one, the Italian was on the Monza grid last Sunday, where he defended Ferrari's decision to favor Alonso over his teammate Felipe Massa.
Briatore, who is also Mark Webber's manager, was then dismayed to see Sebastian Vettel finish ahead of the Australian driver in the grand prix.
"Red Bull haven't realized yet that if they continue like this, with Webber and Vettel racing against each other, they could lose the championship.
"At Ferrari there is a clear situation with Alonso the team leader and Massa lending his hand. It's not the same with Red Bull, not even with their strategy in the race," Briatore is quoted by Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport.
"They have thrown away a hundred points, Vettel's made all sorts of mistakes. If they don't want to win the championship, this is how to do it," he added.
Five-way title sprint thanks to Hamilton gaffe - Lauda
(GMM) F1 aficionados should thank Lewis Hamilton for the thrilling five-race sprint to the 2010 world championship crown, according to Niki Lauda.
Had the 2008 world champion not crashed his McLaren on the first lap at Monza, he would probably now have a clear points advantage with just Singapore, Suzuka, Korea, Brazil and Abu Dhabi left to run.
Instead, the top five protagonists - also including Mark Webber, Fernando Alonso, Jenson Button and Sebastian Vettel - are all divided by a margin achievable in little more than a single grand prix victory.
"We should all thank Lewis Hamilton for his stupid mistake at Monza," triple world champion Lauda told Bild newspaper.
"Now we will have a great sprint for the title," added the great Austrian.
Flavio Briatore, who was also at Monza at the weekend, also noted the British driver's "huge error" of crashing into Felipe Massa's Ferrari and subsequently driving into the gravel with broken suspension.
"We mustn't forget how he lost the championship in 2007," the Italian told La Gazzetta dello Sport.
And David Coulthard wrote in his Telegraph column: "Lewis's collision with Felipe Massa was elementary.
"He will feel he has let the team down, let himself down and potentially cost himself the title. He may well have," added the Scot.
Indeed, Hamilton admitted that McLaren as a team will feel "angry" after Sunday's error but insisted the criticism won't affect him.
"You kick yourself more than anyone can kick you," he said. "I am better equipped now to deal with it than perhaps a few years ago."
F1 drivers mark end of Formula BMW series
(GMM) Formula one drivers and team personnel attended a party last weekend to mark the end of an era.
Monza was the scene of the last ever formula BMW race; a junior series that helped many current F1 drivers to reach the very pinnacle of motor sport.
Accepting BMW motor sport director Mario Theissen's invitation to the party at the Italian venue were former formula BMW drivers Sebastian Vettel, Timo Glock, Sebastien Buemi, Nico Hulkenberg, Bruno Senna and Christian Klien.
"It's a pity it's going," said Hulkenberg. "It was the perfect step from karting."
Young American F1 hopeful Alexander Rossi, who raced in GP3 this year, was also a former BMW star.
Line-up delay due to 'Hulkenberg situation' - Barrichello
(GMM) Williams has delayed the announcement of its drivers for 2011 because the British team is considering whether or not to retain Nico Hulkenberg.
That is the suggestion of Rubens Barrichello, amid widespread expectations the Brazilian veteran has now signed a new contract to stay with the Cosworth-powered team next year.
"On my side I think it was an easier decision," the 38-year-old is quoted by Brazil's Globe Esporte.
"They (Williams) are waiting. I think they are analyzing the Nico Hulkenberg situation in order to do it (an announcement) together for next season," explained Barrichello.
"My part is done, all that is left is the papers to make it confirmed. That I will be with Williams in 2011 is 100 per cent," he confirmed.