Doohan joins the stars at 2010 Race of Champions
Five-time world motorcycling champion Mick Doohan has joined the stunning array of motorsport superstars to sign up for the 2010 Race of Champions in Düsseldorf, Germany on November 27-28.
The annual end-of-season competition brings together the world’s greatest drivers from motor sport’s most prestigious disciplines and pits them head-to-head in identical machinery. Now Doohan has joined a driver roll call that already includes seven-time Formula 1 world champion Michael Schumacher, four-time F1 world champion Alain Prost, seven-time world rally champion Sébastien Loeb, eight-time Le Mans 24-Hour race winner Tom Kristensen, X-Games legend Travis Pastrana and 2010 F1 title contender Sebastian Vettel.
The winner of over 50 top-flight motorcycle grands prix, Doohan has a wealth of experience inside the cockpit too, even testing a Williams F1 car in 1998. He made his first appearance at The Race of Champions last year in Beijing and he has also taken part in the two all-new ROC Legends races held in Portugal over the last two summers, reaching the semi-final in 2009.
Doohan said: “It took me a while to make my ROC debut but now you just can’t keep me away! The Race of Champions is always a fun event, where it’s great to meet up with friends old and new from the world of four wheels. While it’s friendly off the track, it’s the opposite when we’re at the start line with our engines revving. So I will do my best to show them they should underestimate us bikers at their peril…”
The Race of Champions has been staged every year since 1988, founded by IMP President Fredrik Johnsson and Michèle Mouton, the world’s most successful female rally driver. This year’s event will take place on a specially constructed tarmac circuit with two parallel lanes winding their way round Düsseldorf’s ESPRIT arena.
Johnsson said: “Mick is a true legend of his sport so we’re thrilled that he will be joining us again next month. Four wheels may be rather more than he’s known for but he always gives the car racers a run for their money.”
More star drivers will be announced as the countdown to the 2010 Race of Champions continues in the run-up to the big weekend in Düsseldorf on November 27-28.
Tickets are now available from www.raceofchampions.com with prices starting at 29 Euros. Sign up for all the latest updates at www.raceofchampions.com , @raceofchampions on Twitter or Race Of Champions on Facebook.
Drivers already confirmed for the 2010 Race of Champions:
- Seven-time Formula 1 World Champion Michael Schumacher (Team Germany)
- Four-time Formula 1 World Champion Alain Prost (Team France)
- Seven-time World Rally Champion Sébastien Loeb (Team France)
- Five-time World 500cc Motorcycling Champion Mick Doohan (Team Australia)
- Red Bull Racing’s multiple grand prix winner Sebastian Vettel (Team Germany)
- Eight-time Le Mans 24-Hour Race Winner Tom Kristensen (Team Scandinavia)
- Three-time World Touring Car Champion Andy Priaulx (Team UK)
- Eleven-time X-Games Gold medalist Travis Pastrana (Team USA)
- 2007 NASCAR Nationwide Series Champion Carl Edwards (Team USA)
- GP2 race winner Alvaro Parente (Team Portugal)
- A1GP race winner Filipe Albuquerque (Team Portugal)