Latest F1 news in brief - Wednesday
- Also Renault planning pre-Valencia launch
- Dyer axed as McLaren men step forward at Ferrari
- Also Ecclestone worried about sound of 2013 engines
- Petrov wants to race Ferrari and McLaren in 2011
- Plans for F1 race at Mallorca still progressing
- Sauber announces 2011 launch date
Also Renault planning pre-Valencia launch
(GMM) Renault will become the next team to announce a late January launch date for its 2011 car.
So far, most formula one teams are planning to reveal their new single seaters shortly before the first group test gets underway at Valencia on 1 February.
"The launch of the new car (is) planned for the final week of this month," Ferrari announced on Monday.
Also planning to be at the Cheste circuit near the Spanish port city with their 2011 cars are McLaren, Sauber, Red Bull, Toro Rosso, Lotus and others.
Renault, meanwhile, will show its new black and gold Lotus Renault GP livery on the 2010 car at the Autosport International show late next week, before the new car is seen for the first time at Valencia on the eve of the first test.
Dyer axed as McLaren men step forward at Ferrari
(GMM) As expected, Chris Dyer has lost his job in the wake of the bungled race strategy that cost Ferrari the drivers' title in Abu Dhabi last year.
Italian reports were predicting within hours of the outcome of the season finale in November that the Australian's head "will roll" for calling in Fernando Alonso for an early pitstop that left him stranded behind Vitaly Petrov.
Dyer remained in his role as Ferrari's head of race track engineering until this week, when - also as expected - the new deputy technical director Pat Fry took over.
Dyer's "role within the company will be redefined in the next few days", Ferrari announced.
Also stepping forward with a prominent new role at Ferrari is Neil Martin, who until recently was chief strategist at Red Bull.
Fry and Martin both worked alongside Spaniard Alonso at McLaren in 2007.
Ferrari said Briton Martin, 38, will head the team's new Operations Research department, and like Fry will "report directly to technical director Aldo Costa".
Also Ecclestone worried about sound of 2013 engines
(GMM) Bernie Ecclestone has admitted that he too is worried about the sound of F1's new engine formula for 2013.
Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo said recently that for "the top class of racing", 1.6 liter four-cylinder power plants "sounds a bit pathetic".
Triple world champion Niki Lauda agreed: "I am worried about the sound, which in formula one has been so unique.
"Hopefully there will be more than a faint hum," he added.
F1 chief executive Ecclestone has admitted that he too is worried about the new exhaust note.
"I don't care whether it's 1.6 or 1.8 liter engines -- I'm worried about the sound," he is quoted by motorline.cc.
"If we lose the sound of formula one, we will be losing a great deal," added Ecclestone.
FIA president Jean Todt, however, insists no-one should be worried about 2013.
"I can guarantee that the formula one cars for the 2013 season will be very exciting and produce a great sound.
"The development of the industry in the past years has been bringing safety and environmental awareness to the foreground, and the car manufacturers have made great progress in both areas.
"With the new rules, the FIA wants to send a strong message about formula one. It is the pinnacle of motor sport and the smaller engine is very important for the manufacturers," added Todt.
Petrov wants to race Ferrari and McLaren in 2011
(GMM) Vitaly Petrov has announced he will try to re-pay Russia's support by being a formula one frontrunner in 2011.
The 26-year-old has a new two-year contract with Renault, but prime minister Vladimir Putin said on Tuesday that Petrov "needs financial support" whilst announcing state technology company Rostekhnologii as a new sponsor for the Vyborn-born driver.
"I will try to do everything in my hands to fight with the leaders Ferrari and McLaren," said Petrov after his meeting with Putin and industry leaders, according to Spanish sports newspaper Marca.
"We will see how the team has prepared the new car," added Petrov, who said the new black and gold Renault's performance will depend heavily on the February tests.
Putin said: "Vitaly Petrov is becoming increasingly known by motor racing fans. He has signed a contract for two years and obviously needs help.
"Mainly financial support. So we met to discuss this issue," he revealed.
Plans for F1 race at Mallorca still progressing
(GMM) Plans for a formula one race on the Balearic Islands are still progressing.
Mid last year, it emerged that Llucmajor, a short drive from Mallorca's major Palma airport, was the likely site for the project, which would replace the European grand prix at Valencia.
The German-language Mallorca Zeitung reports that organizers are now seeking investors to fund the first race in 2012, with the estimated cost at between 160-200 million euros.
"The project would help not only the local community but give the whole island a tremendous economic boost," said Llucmajor mayor Joan Jaume.
The track's local designer Gabriel Palmer has been criticized for his inexperience, but he said he has consulted with the Ferrari team.
"I have included their (Ferrari's) corrections in my current draft," said Palmer.
The head of the Balearic racing federation and mayor Jaume have already met with F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone, and F1 event guru Philippe Gurdjian has reportedly also been involved.
"Ecclestone was enthusiastic and encouraged us to pursue the project," said federation president Agustin Arbex.
He also revealed that September 2012 has been earmarked for the inaugural race date.
Sauber announces 2011 launch date
On January 31st, the Monday before the official start of testing for the Formula One season 2011, the Sauber team will pull the covers off the Sauber C30-Ferrari at the Circuit Ricardo Tormo near Valencia. Then in the afternoon they will take the car for a few demonstration laps.