Bahrain decision 'next week', could be cancelled UPDATE A statement on behalf of the organizers read: “The safety of all Bahraini nationals, expats and overseas visitors is a priority at all times in the Kingdom and, at the Bahrain International Circuit.”
“Our focus at the present time remains on delivering another successful event in the form of the 2011 Gulf Air Formula 1 Bahrain Grand Prix. We continue to monitor the situation very closely indeed in association with the relevant authorities. Our priority at this time is ensuring the wellbeing of everyone associated with this event, and we will respond appropriately to any further developments.”
Virgin Racing team principal John Booth added: “If the local government, along with FOM, and the FIA say it is safe to go, then we go.
“We will trust their judgment. They will have people on the ground assessing the situation all the time, and I’m sure they are well informed of the risks. The only complication is the test, with most of us out there for 16 days, so a decision will need taking by the 25th when the freight goes out, and a week after for the race.” 02/17/11 Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone says he will decide next week whether or not the Bahrain Grand Prix goes ahead.
Ongoing unrest in the country's capital city of Manama has cast doubt over the viability of the event after four people were reportedly killed and hundreds injured when police stormed a camp of demonstrators.
The new wave of violence, which followed two deaths earlier in the week, led to the cancellation of this weekend's GP2 Asia Series event at the circuit.
Formula One pre-season testing is set to take place there from March 3-6 ahead of the season-opening race from March 11-13, but those dates now also have question marks over them.
"It's not good is it?" said Ecclestone, who has confirmed he has had contact with Crown Prince Salman ibn Hamad ibn Isa Al Khalifa on Thursday.