>


Advertisement
Hot News
for your iPhone
for your iPad
Go to our forums to discuss this news
DATE News (chronologically)
02/18/11
f1
Ecclestone changes tune again after more Bahrain violence  
Bernie Ecclestone may be forced to pull the plug on Bahrain
(GMM)  Bernie Ecclestone on Friday changed his tune after earlier sounding hopeful that the 2011 season opener might be able to take place in "quiet" Bahrain.

On the ground, another day of shocking government violence against protesters was taking place in the island Kingdom, causing F1's chief executive to admit he had been misinformed by some FOM cameramen in a Bahrain hotel.

"So when I made my earlier statement it was based on the information I had at that time, as opposed to what is happening," said the 80-year-old.

Asked if he now fears he will have to cancel the race, Ecclestone answered: "I don't fear anything, I just think things have changed and that we should wait and see over the weekend exactly what changes there have been.

"At this moment it doesn't look good," he admitted.

F1 team bosses met for a two-hour FOTA meeting in Barcelona on Friday, with appointed spokesman Christian Horner emerging with a similar 'wait and see' approach.

"We have complete trust in Bernie, FOM and the FIA to make the right decision.  They will only send us there if it is safe," said the Red Bull boss.

The chairman of FOTA is Martin Whitmarsh, whose McLaren team is substantially owned by the Kingdom of Bahrain.

Most western governments are currently advising their citizens against travelling to the country.

"Can't quite believe that with the ruthless treatment of Bahrain's protesters Ecclestone is talking about grand prix prospects there," English personality Stephen Fry wrote on Twitter.

Hot News Archives
2000 2001 2002 2003
2004200520062007
2008200920102011
2012201320142015

Search Hot News
Search Help