The undisclosed illness that has sidelined Daytona 500 champion Trevor Bayne with blurred vision and other symptoms for more than three weeks will keep him from driving in Saturday's All-Star race at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Bayne tested Wednesday at Rockingham Speedway for Roush Fenway Racing, which owns Bayne's contract and fields him in the #16 Ford in the Nationwide Series. RFR officials said Bayne, who qualified for the All-Star race by winning the Sprint Cup opener at Daytona in the #21 he drives on a limited basis for the Wood Brothers, did not appear at full strength after more than three weeks of non-activity while undergoing tests.
Bayne's Nationwide car did not make the trip to Iowa for Sunday's race and will not be entered with any driver. The Wood Brothers will not replace Bayne in the All-Star race even though they have that option. Bayne has been having symptoms of blurred vision, pain in his left shoulder and elbow, fatigue and periods of feeling nauseous since early last month. Although the symptoms had subsided enough that it was initially thought Bayne could compete in the All-Star race, it was decided after Wednesday's test he probably needed another week to recuperate and gain back his full strength. ESPN
05/19/11 Roush Fenway and the Wood Brothers have decided to withhold Trevor Bayne from NASCAR competition this weekend, including Sunday's Nationwide Series race at Iowa Speedway and Saturday night's Sprint All-Star Race at Charlotte Motor Speedway. "Although we would like for Trevor to be on the track this weekend, we want to make sure that he is fully back to prime condition before he goes out to compete with the best drivers in the world," said Roush Fenway president Steve Newmark.
"He has been undergoing tests and out of his routine for almost a month now. With that disruption in his schedule, he has not been able to take part in our daily training activities and he's going to need a little more time to get acclimated to the strenuous demands of a NASCAR racing schedule," added Newmark. "Obviously we would love to have him back out on the track, but we are not prepared to do that until we are sure that he's 100 percent. His symptoms have improved tremendously, but we're still not all the way back to where we want to be."
"We knew all along that there was not a timetable for his return," said Eddie Wood, co-owner of Wood Brothers Racing. "We knew it would be a process and we continue to work towards his return. Trevor really wants to be back, and we remain hopeful that we'll have him competing again soon." Neither the Roush Fenway #16 Nationwide Series entry, nor the Wood Brothers #21 Sprint Cup entry, will participate in the NASCAR races this weekend. The Wood Brothers, however, do intend to participate in the Pit Crew Challenge this evening. Roush Fenway Racing
Copyright 1999-2016 | AutoRacing1 is an
independent internet online publication and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed
by IndyCar, NASCAR, FIA, Sprint, or any other series sponsor.
This material may not be published, broadcast, or redistributed without