1:30 update from Indy Today's Pole Day is unlike any other in recent history, perhaps ever. A condensed 2-day qualification schedule, combined with a constant threat of rain and the large car count, has made for an assembly-line process. There are no wave-off attempts today, no break in qualification attempts. The local weather forecasts have rain starting around 4:00 PM today, and continuing through tomorrow. This sets up the possibility of a second qualification attempt, or even more practice to find speed.
After all first-time attempts have been attempted, here are the Fast Nine:
Alex Tagliani Scott Dixon Dario Franchitti Dan Wheldon Townsend Bell Will Power Oriol Servia Buddy Rice Takuma Sato
- Rain and storms are building in to the west, and the winds have been causing havoc all day long with the drivers.
- Ho-Pin Tung backed his Schmidt Dragon Racing car into the turn 1 wall hard during his qualification attempt. He was transported to Methodist Hospital, but was awake and alert.
- No Team Penske cars are on the front row. Helio Castroneves wouldn't even be in the Fast Nine competition, and Ryan Briscoe is not in the top 24, and therefore won't be qualified should there be a second day of attempts.
- Simona de Silvestro took a pass on her qualification attempt. Ed Carpenter pulled out as well, for unknown reasons.
- Andretti Motorsports is in complete disarray. Mike Conway, Marco Andretti, John Andretti and Ryan Hunter-Reay made weak qualification attempts, and by the time Danica had her attempt all ad been bumped out of the top 24. Danica's attempt put her... on the bubble, in 24th. Tim Wohlford reporting from Indy
Copyright 1999-2016 | AutoRacing1 is an
independent internet online publication and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed
by IndyCar, NASCAR, FIA, Sprint, or any other series sponsor.
This material may not be published, broadcast, or redistributed without