Indiana TV station defends cutting off Indy 500 finish A South Bend television station is defending its decision to cut away from the finish of the Indianapolis 500 for a severe weather report.
WBND news director Aaron Ramey tells the South Bend Tribune that tornado warnings had been issued for the area on Sunday, and "public safety is a priority" for the ABC affiliate.
No tornadoes touched down in the area, but two funnel clouds were reported.
Ramey says the station received complaints from "quite a few people" who missed the last-second twist finish of the 100th anniversary race, in which rookie JR Hildebrand hit the wall on the last lap and was passed by winner Dan Wheldon.
WNDU chief meteorologist Mike Hoffman said few viewers complained when a severe weather broadcast interrupted a golf tournament Sunday on NBC. Indy Star
Copyright 1999-2016 | AutoRacing1 is an
independent internet online publication and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed
by IndyCar, NASCAR, FIA, Sprint, or any other series sponsor.
This material may not be published, broadcast, or redistributed without