Latest F1 news in brief - Tuesday
- DRS inventor 'deserves praise' - Robertson
- Sauber 'very happy' with Kobayashi - Kaltenborn
- 'Put some money' on Hamilton title - father
- Ecclestone admits BBC 'facing problems'
DRS inventor 'deserves praise' - Robertson
(GMM) As in Canada, there will be two 'DRS' overtaking zones on the streets of Valencia this weekend, but only one 'detection point'.
The new-in-2011 adjustable rear wing innovation contributed to a plethora of overtaking on the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, ahead of this weekend's event at Valencia where processional races have been common.
But Canada winner Jenson Button is not sure 'DRS' will transform the spectacle of the European grand prix.
"It's a hard place to pass and, even though there will once again be two DRS zones, I don't think that's going to make it much easier during the race," he said.
The Spanish sports newspaper AS revealed that the DRS 'detection point' this weekend will be 130 meters before turn 8, with the first overtaking zone set for the run between turns 10 and 12.
The second zone, also useable by drivers who were within 1 second of their prey at the detection point, is situated between turns 14 and 17.
"Some of the purists believe DRS has made the racing artificial, but the fact is that every race is now absolutely entertaining," Steve Robertson, 2007 world champion Kimi Raikkonen's manager, told Turun Sanomat newspaper.
"Whoever invented this system deserves the most authentic of praise. The cars have kept their speed and at the same time are able to race. Full marks!" he added.
DRS will be deactivated at Valencia this weekend if it rains, but the weather forecast for the Spanish port city so far is for clear and sunny conditions.
Sauber 'very happy' with Kobayashi - Kaltenborn
(GMM) While Sauber hopes Sergio Perez will return to his C30 this weekend, the Swiss team has revealed it is more than happy with the occupant of the sister cockpit.
Sauber plucked Japanese Kamui Kobayashi from the ashes of Toyota's F1 withdrawal at the end of 2009, following some exciting early performances for the then rookie.
He has carried over his daring style to Sauber and now has a secure place at the team, managing director Monish Kaltenborn told Brazil's O Estado de S.Paulo.
"We are very happy," she said.
"Kamui, in his second year of formula one, is already a leader. His exciting style of driving is great for the team and for the fans as well," added Kaltenborn.
'Put some money' on Hamilton title - father
(GMM) Lewis Hamilton is still in the fight for the 2011 world championship.
That is the insistence of his father Anthony Hamilton, who after splitting with the McLaren driver as manager now handles the career of Force India rookie Paul di Resta.
Even before crashing out of the recent Canadian grand prix, 26-year-old Hamilton said of Sebastian Vettel's runaway points lead: "He's gone, he's on his way."
Then, in the Montreal race, Hamilton's retirement dropped him behind his teammate Jenson Button and also Mark Webber in the drivers' standings, a full 76 points shy of Vettel's lead.
"For me, Valencia will be a weekend of consolidation after two disappointing results in Monaco and Canada," said the Briton.
But Hamilton's father thinks a merely solid result is an underestimation of his son's true potential, tipping him to take the checkered flag by the time of the season finale in late November.
"If I were a gambling man, I'd put some money on Lewis winning the championship this year," Hamilton Snr told the Daily Mail. "You'll get some great odds. He can do it."
At present, 2008 world champion Hamilton is about 14/1 to win his second title in 2011, while Red Bull's Vettel is the overwhelming odds-on favorite.
Said Lewis Hamilton: "We've arguably had the fastest race car in the last three races, and that's really encouraging because I know that, when it's put to best use, I should be able to finish at the front."
Ecclestone admits BBC 'facing problems'
(GMM) The BBC warned Bernie Ecclestone about "facing problems", the F1 chief executive has admitted.
His comments follow reports this week that the British broadcaster's highly respected free-to-air live television coverage of formula one might be dropped for 2013.
It has been feared that the only option for F1 in the BBC's absence would be Rupert Murdoch's pay network Sky, but the Daily Mail newspaper said ITV - the F1 broadcaster between 1997 to 2008 - might also be interested.
"We want formula one to stay free to viewers," Ecclestone said. "That is 100 per cent.
"They (the BBC) did warn me that they were facing problems but, so far, nothing more has been said. I hope they want to keep us because it is such a success and I will do my best," the 80-year-old added.
It has been suggested the reports might indicate the BBC's desire to continue to broadcast F1 with improved contractual terms.