IMS NASCAR deal puts screws to Lucas Oil Raceway Lucas Oil founder Forrest Lucas said today that he expects to renegotiate his title sponsorship deal with Lucas Oil Raceway.
It was announced Wednesday that NASCAR's Nationwide Series and Camping World Truck Series would not return to the track in 2012, with the Nationwide race moving to Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Lucas said a clause in the company's contract with the raceway allowed Lucas Oil to renegotiate its sponsorship of the track.
"It's a shock, really," Lucas said of losing NASCAR. "One of the reasons we did the sponsorship with the track was because of the NASCAR races. It was a big deal to us."
Lucas said he did not anticipate Lucas Oil removing its sponsorship from the track, which still hosts the NHRA Mac Tools U.S. Nationals annually on Labor Day weekend, but said it does change the relationship between Lucas Oil and the raceway.
"We're going to lose a lot of value at the track for us, but I also think this is a big loss for Indianapolis," he said. "I think it was one of the best races in the country, but it's not going to be the same at Indianapolis Motor Speedway."
NASCAR's Nationwide Series had been racing at the former Indianapolis Raceway Park since 1982, and the truck series had raced there since its first season in 1995. This year's AAA Insurance 200 truck race is scheduled for July 29. The Kroger 200 Nationwide race is July 30. Indy Star
Copyright 1999-2016 | AutoRacing1 is an
independent internet online publication and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed
by IndyCar, NASCAR, FIA, Sprint, or any other series sponsor.
This material may not be published, broadcast, or redistributed without