Villeneuve says no to IndyCar finale Former Formula 1 World Champion Jacques Villeneuve won’t be competing in the IndyCar Series season finale at Las Vegas in October with its purse of $5 million being offered to any non-series driver who can take the win.
Villeneuve told Auto123.com on March 10, some four months ago, that he was only vaguely interested.
“That’s the kind of race that needs to be done right. It represents a huge challenge and you need to do things the right way. Additionally, it may be pretty dangerous out there as that race will turn into a dash-for-cash,” Villeneuve told us.
The Canadian confirmed his decision in a British magazine: "I'm not really interested. If you can do it with a team like Penske that’s fine and I would go!”
"But if you do it as a last-minute stint, then no… You risk killing yourself for nothing," he said, adding: "You end up doing stupid things to get the big prize."
As of now, no big names have made any commitment and it is believed that the deadline for drivers wanting to take part in the season finale passed last month.
Among those drivers who have been rumored as possible entry for the season finale, are former F1 driver Jean Alesi and current WRC star Petter Solberg. Scott Speed had also been lined up with Dragon Racing.
Copyright 1999-2016 | AutoRacing1 is an
independent internet online publication and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed
by IndyCar, NASCAR, FIA, Sprint, or any other series sponsor.
This material may not be published, broadcast, or redistributed without