McLaren says F1 'sorry to see Turkey go' (GMM) More reports from the Hungaroring on Friday seemed to confirm that Turkey has been dropped from the 2012 calendar.
The Istanbul track made its debut in 2005 but it appears to have been deleted from the latest schedule for next year that is being circulated in the paddock in Hungary.
"I think it is always sad when you lose a grand prix. We are sorry to see Turkey go," McLaren managing director Jonathan Neale told reporters on Friday.
The original 2012 calendar featured an unprecedented 21 races, but FIA president Jean Todt insisted last month that the final schedule will "absolutely not" feature more than 20.
"As a smaller team 21 is too many," Virgin team president Graeme Lowdon is quoted by Reuters.
A wire report by Sapa-AFP referred to the latest provisional 2012 calendar, featuring Australia as the season opener on March 18 and the US grand prix moved from June to a more weather-friendly date just before the November finale.
Copyright 1999-2016 | AutoRacing1 is an
independent internet online publication and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed
by IndyCar, NASCAR, FIA, Sprint, or any other series sponsor.
This material may not be published, broadcast, or redistributed without