Latest F1 news in brief - Thursday
Renault to divulge more on Heidfeld/Senna saga
- 'Stubborn' Schumacher admits mistakes of past
- Buemi admits 'enormous pressure' for F1 survival
- Title situation 'worrying' for Vettel's rivals
- Toro Rosso truck crashes on way to Spa
Renault to divulge more on Heidfeld/Senna saga
(GMM) Renault on Thursday is set to release more details about the loss of Nick Heidfeld's race seat.
In a brief statement on Wednesday, following intense speculation, the team announced that Bruno Senna will be driving alongside Vitaly Petrov this weekend at Spa-Francorchamps.
"A press release with further details on the matter will be issued tomorrow morning," it said.
Additionally, 27-year-old former reserve driver Senna will speak to reporters in the FIA press conference.
German Heidfeld's management has not been available to comment, but the Daily Telegraph said he desperately tried to retain the seat "before a judge on Wednesday".
'Stubborn' Schumacher admits mistakes of past
(GMM) On the 20th anniversary of his 1991 debut, Michael Schumacher has shown a rare moment of contrition as he looks back at his F1 career.
He is faraway the most successful driver in the sport's history, but according to some his achievements are blackened by controversial incidents including Adelaide 1994, Jerez 1997 and 'Rascasse' 2006.
"I could have reacted differently," seven time world champion Schumacher, looking back on unspecified incidents in conversation with FAZ newspaper, said.
"But I was stubborn and reacting to the environment I was in and the situation of the time.
"There are enough examples, like we've seen with Senna and Prost. They have done it and got away with it," said the German.
"I told myself that I can use this grey area as well."
Meanwhile, even Schumacher's harshest critics seem to agree that he is much more relaxed now, as he struggles in his comeback with Mercedes to keep up with teammate Nico Rosberg.
"Nico is definitely the strongest teammate I've had. In qualifying this year it is 10:1 in his favor. But I know that I can be faster than him," he said.
Very outspoken in relation to Schumacher this week has been his first team boss Eddie Jordan, who is quoted by Blick newspaper as describing the comeback as "a huge mistake".
"To try to compete with guys who are 20 years younger is against the laws of physics and medicine."
Buemi admits 'enormous pressure' for F1 survival
(GMM) Sebastien Buemi has admitted to feeling the "enormous pressure" of his fight to stay in formula one.
It is a scarcely-guarded secret in F1 circles that either Buemi or his current teammate Jaime Alguersuari will have to make way at the end of the season for Red Bull's new hot talent Daniel Ricciardo.
But Swiss Buemi told veteran Blick correspondent Roger Benoit that he is determined to do his talking on the track in order to win the Toro Rosso contract for 2012.
"The only way I can affect the contract extension is with good results," said Buemi, 22. "So I go at full throttle like there's no tomorrow.
"It's a task that is driving me even with the enormous pressure," he added.
Title situation 'worrying' for Vettel's rivals
(GMM) The McLaren and Ferrari drivers have kicked off their weekend at Spa-Francorchamps by insisting they are still in the hunt for the 2011 title.
But as the rivals rightly refuse to just let Sebastian Vettel stroll to his second consecutive championship, Pedro de la Rosa has pointed out the enormity of their task.
"The figures don't lie," the McLaren reserve driver told formulasantander.com, "and they also tell us that Vettel won last year's world championship with 256 points.
"(That is) 22 points more than what he currently has. I know these are only figures, but they are worrying," said the Spaniard, who said the driver who might manage to beat Red Bull's Vettel would have to put up a "heroic" fight.
On the bright side for Vettel's foes, the 24-year-old has not won a grand prix since Valencia in June, with the German press calling his slump a "mini-crisis".
In an interview with Bild newspaper, however, the German sounded unworried.
"You can't assume you're going to have a car able to drive away from all the others for a whole season," he said.
"I didn't win the last few races but we always did our best and scored (points) properly. It will be good as long as we continue like this.
"There are still eight races and we have to make sure we are fighting every time. You can't win every time and it's certainly not a drama to not win two or three in a row," added Vettel.
Toro Rosso truck crashes on way to Spa
(GMM) One of Italian team Toro Rosso's transporters was damaged on the way to Spa-Francorchamps.
Media reports said the vehicle, carrying vans for the Faenza based team's staff, was struck by another truck on the highway near Duren, Germany.
De Telegraaf said the truck driver only suffered minor injuries, with the value of the damage being estimated by police at EUR 120,000.
The section of road was closed for two hours to clear the damage.
The incident has not affected Toro Rosso's preparations for the Belgian grand prix, and the transporter was not carrying the Ferrari-powered STR6 single seaters.