Spa: Webber tops dry Practice 2 Mark Webber made the most of a drying track to set the pace in Friday's second practice at Spa, topping Fernando Alonso.
The session began on a rather wet track with drivers lapping in the 2:10s. However, as the dry line began to form, more set times, times tumbled and the P1 slot swapped hands several times.
Webber, though, was the man who finished on top with a 1:50.321 with Alonso 0.140s off the pace. Third place went to Jenson Button, who was almost half a second down on the Aussie.
Championship leader Sebastian Vettel admits that he made little progress in Friday practice for the Belgian Grand Prix. Using only the slower, harder Slick compound when the track was at its driest during the second session, the World Champion ended the day in tenth position.
“I think I probably learned as much as you did today!” the Red Bull driver told reporters, with team-mate Mark Webber having finished the day quickest. “I don't know…maybe a bit more, but it was quite tricky because the weather changed all the time.”
The German admits that a selection of uncertainties remain.
“You can imagine the weather forecast and more rain is absolutely possible,” he continued. “The question is: just how much? We try to save as many tires as we can because so we don't want to ruin the tires we have for Saturday and Sunday.”
In accordance with the FIA Sporting Regulations, each driver is allocated three sets of Wet tires and four sets of Intermediates per race weekend.
01. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m50.321 22 laps
02. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m50.461 + 0.140 18 laps
03. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m50.770 + 0.449 9 laps
04. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1m50.838 + 0.517 9 laps
05. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m51.218 + 0.897 14 laps
06. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m51.242 + 0.921 22 laps
07. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1m51.655 + 1.334 20 laps
08. Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes 1m51.725 + 1.404 17 laps
09. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m51.751 + 1.430 8 laps
10. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m51.790 + 1.469 13 laps
11. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1m51.922 + 1.601 22 laps
12. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 1m52.750 + 2.429 20 laps
13. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1m52.780 + 2.459 25 laps
14. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m52.911 + 2.590 24 laps
15. Sébastien Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m53.009 + 2.688 24 laps
16. Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1m53.156 + 2.835 17 laps
17. Bruno Senna Renault 1m53.835 + 3.514 20 laps
18. Jarno Trulli Lotus-Renault 1m55.051 + 4.730 20 laps
19. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1m55.494 + 5.173 22 laps
20. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus-Renault 1m56.202 + 5.881 15 laps
21. Jerome D'Ambrosio Virgin-Cosworth 1m56.816 + 6.495 20 laps
22. Tonio Liuzzi HRT-Cosworth 1m57.450 + 7.129 19 laps
23. Daniel Ricciardo HRT-Cosworth 1m57.612 + 7.291 24 laps
24. Vitaly Petrov Renault 2m02.234 + 11.913 12 laps