Latest F1 news in brief - Wednesday
India GP ramps up security after Delhi bomb
- 'No decision' yet over India GP tax threat
- Chandhok still waiting for India race-seat decision
- Red Bull now Renault's works team - Horner
- Porsche 'welcome' on F1 grid says Montezemolo
- Red Bull has great car for every track - Massa
India GP ramps up security after Delhi bomb
(GMM) The Noida regional government is ramping up security arrangements for next month's inaugural Indian grand prix.
Concerns about the safety of the event were raised last week when a briefcase bomb in nearby Delhi killed 12 people and injured 76.
In response, the Pioneer broadsheet said 1,600 police have been called upon for duty during the formula one event by the Noida authorities.
They will deploy anti-sabotage checks and bomb disposal squads.
Also on duty will be personnel of the provisional armed company and special weapons and tactics (SWAT), while barricades will be put in place.
"We are constantly in touch with Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA), the organizers over the security requirements for the race," said police senior superintendent Jyoti Narayan.
"Our aim is to provide the optimum security and the final blueprint will be ready by this week," he added.
'No decision' yet over India GP tax threat
(GMM) No solution has been found yet to a boycott threat ahead of the inaugural Indian grand prix.
FOTA chief Martin Whitmarsh revealed at Monza that teams and drivers will be subject to big tax bills when they travel to Delhi next month.
"You don't go somewhere if you're going to be penalized," said the McLaren team principal.
Behind the scenes, private race organizers Jaypee are "locked in a tussle" with the Indian government, the Times of India reports.
The problem is the customs duties laws, with the organizers asking the government for an exclusion zone to be declared so that the F1 cargo can be shipped without the assumption it is being imported and exported.
The report said the glitch dates back to the government's classification of formula one as a form of entertainment rather than a sport.
Since then, Jaypee has been writing letters and meeting with officials.
A letter dated September 7, two days before Whitmarsh's Monza comments, confirmed the Indian grand prix can go ahead "at no cost to the government".
But in fact "No decision has been taken yet," an unnamed official of the Indian revenue department insisted. "It is being discussed," the source added.
Chandhok still waiting for India race-seat decision
(GMM) Karun Chandhok has admitted it would be "fantastic" if he can contest his home Indian grand prix next month.
Team Lotus boss Tony Fernandes said this week he would "like" to put reserve driver Chandhok at the wheel of team regular Jarno Trulli's car in Delhi.
"It's obviously very nice to hear," Chandhok, 27, told CNN. "He (Fernandes) is the man who can make it happen. I've just got to wait and see what he decides."
Chandhok's father Vicky is the president of India's federation of motor sports clubs.
"I've been very involved in the circuit," said Karun, who replaced Trulli for a one-off race at the Nurburgring in July. "I've been visiting the (Buddh circuit) site every month.
"To have the opportunity to drive would sort of complete that circle," he added.
Chandhok acknowledged that the fact he is now regularly considered for the race seat occupied by Italian veteran Trulli has created some tension at Team Lotus.
"It's not ideal, there's no doubt about that. I experienced it last year (at HRT), my drive was given to Sakon Yamamoto in the second half of the season. It's tough," he said.
"When they put me in the car in Germany ... it's a very difficult situation. It can be awkward. But I have to say Jarno was fantastic.
"He offered his advice and support all through the weekend. I have to say hats off to him, he was a model professional," added Chandhok.
Trulli however has already been confirmed for the 2012 season, while Fernandes said this week that Heikki Kovalainen is the team's "number 1 driver".
At the same time, Chandhok is hoping for a regular race seat.
"I need to sit and figure things out with Tony and where we are and where we see the future. I'd like to stay with Tony, with Lotus, and in the future race for them full time. That's my ambition," he said.
Red Bull now Renault's works team - Horner
(GMM) Red Bull is now the works Renault team.
That is the claim of Red Bull principal Christian Horner, after the team's new engine supply deal with Renault Sport F1 was announced at Monza.
It was announced not only that Renault engines will continue to power the Red Bull cars through 2017, but that the parties will collaborate "to develop innovative technical solutions" for the new V6 engine of 2014.
Renault's managing director Jean-Francois Caubet added that the deal, to utilize Red Bull's "input, resources and vast in-house F1 car expertise", will also benefit Renault's "other team partners" like Lotus-Renault, Team Lotus and Williams.
For example, according to Renault's chief operating officer Carlos Tavares, Red Bull's input could be used to devise "formidable aerodynamic packaging" for the new engine.
So even though an entirely separate team still bears the Renault chassis name, and in light of Williams' historic ties, it is Red Bull that should now be considered as having works status, according to Horner.
"The partnership with Renault/Nissan alliance is an important one for the team," he told the Red Bull website.
"It guarantees stability, it makes us the premier, factory team of Renault Sport, so our colleagues where the engines are produced will be working hand in hand with the engineers and designers at Red Bull."
Horner added that Renault and Red Bull will also set up a "joint venture" to supply gearbox and KERS systems.
Porsche 'welcome' on F1 grid says Montezemolo
(GMM) Luca di Montezemolo has revealed he would be happy to see Porsche on the formula one grid.
According to Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport, the Ferrari president made the comments about the German sports car maker this week at the Frankfurt Motor Show.
"I have a lot of respect for Porsche, which I consider to be the main rival for some of our cars. Competition is always welcome, especially when you're sure you'll win," said the Italian.
Unfortunately for Montezemolo, Porsche is unlikely to be seen on the grand prix grids at least in the foreseeable future.
Also at the Frankfurt show, Porsche's chief executive Matthias Muller said: "Formula one is still not interesting for us.
"It is simply too expensive and doesn't offer enough in exchange, especially for spectators," he added, according to Automotive News Europe.
Meanwhile, Montezemolo welcomed Sebastian Vettel's admission at Monza last weekend that he would like one day to experience winning the Italian grand prix in a "red suit".
"I can understand Vettel," he said. "He's an intelligent person with good taste and he knows what Ferrari stands for, with all due respect to the other teams."
Montezemolo also appeared to comment on the appointment at new F1 supplier Pure of Gilles Simon, who after designing engines for Ferrari most recently headed the FIA's engine department.
The Italian suggested he is worried Simon is taking up his new role having worked closely with the existing engine manufacturers on their V6 designs for 2014.
"It is not right that a technician can have the ability to pass on confidential information," Montezemolo, not referring specifically to Simon, is quoted by Italy's Autosprint.
Red Bull has great car for every track - Massa
(GMM) As was feared by its rivals before Monza, Red Bull erased its final lingering weakness with Sebastian Vettel's dominance of the Italian grand prix.
In recent seasons, Adrian Newey's blue, yellow and red single seaters have been arguably the best when downforce is a premium, but not as good when the Renault engines must cope with long stretches of asphalt.
"The difference between this year's car and last year's car here at Monza is huge," said runaway championship leader Vettel after Sunday's win, according to O Estado de S.Paulo newspaper.
His teammate Mark Webber agreed: "The tracks where you do not need high downforce were our biggest problem. So I think our biggest improvement this year was in that area."
Felipe Massa, whose 2011 Ferrari car has struggled this year on hard tracks and in cold temperatures, fully agrees.
"Red Bull have managed to develop a car that is capable of being fast and reliable on any track and in any kind of temperature," said the Brazilian.
"They have a big advantage," agreed his teammate Fernando Alonso.
"As the regulations will not change much for 2012, we need to find more than one second in our car for next year, which will not be easy," the Spaniard admitted.