NASCAR Nationwide Series points leader Elliott Sadler will not drive five Sprint Cup races in the No. 55 at Michael Waltrip Racing as the organization announced last week.
Sadler said on Monday he met with Nationwide Series owner Richard Childress and other Richard Childress Racing executives after Saturday's win at Phoenix and decided it was "in our best interest for me to focus on Nationwide."
Sadler said nothing in the meeting was discussed about RCR being a Chevrolet team and MWR being a Toyota team.
"It was more about focus on what we are doing (in Nationwide)," said Sadler, who has a 10-point lead in the series after two races.
It was announced last weekend that Sadler would drive both Cup races at Bristol and Martinsville, as well as the July New Hampshire race, for veteran Mark Martin in the No. 55.
Martin is driving only 24 points races and the All-Star race this season as he cuts back his schedule. Team owner Michael Waltrip is scheduled to drive in three restrictor plate events -- two at Talladega and one at Daytona in July.
Martin, sixth in the Cup standings, said he currently has no plan to drive the 55 in the upcoming March 18 Bristol race.
03/05/12 Elliott Sadler's plans to substitute for Mark Martin behind the wheel of the #55 Michael Waltrip Racing Toyota in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series may have been a bit premature. Sadler, who won the Nationwide Series race Saturday for Richard Childress Racing, was hoping to pilot the Aaron's Toyota for five races that Martin has elected to skip, starting with the race at Bristol Motor Speedway on March 18. But multiple sources told FOXSports.com the deal blew up Saturday night, shortly after it was announced via a press release. While talks had been in the works for a couple of months, the manufacturer conflict for Sadler, who drives Chevys full time for RCR in the Nationwide Series, appears to have squashed the arrangement. With most rosters set for 2012, don't be surprised to see former Toyota driver Brian Vickers run the five races in place of Martin. Fox Sports
03/03/12 Michael Waltrip Racing announced that Elliott Sadler will drive the team's #55 Toyota in five Sprint Cup races in 2012 beginning at Bristol Motor Speedway on March 18. Sadler will also drive the #55 in the August Bristol event, both Martinsville races and the July 15 race at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. Waltrip explained how Sadler came to drive the No. 55. "Elliott has the experience and attitude we were looking for," said the two-time Daytona 500 champion. "We'll pair him with Crew Chief Rodney Childers who builds really fast cars. We believe Elliott will do a great job." Waltrip drove the #55 in the Budweiser Shootout and will run in four more races in 2012. Mark Martin will drive the #55 in 24 races plus the All Star Race in Charlotte. MWR will name a driver for two road course events at a later date.
Copyright 1999-2016 | AutoRacing1 is an
independent internet online publication and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed
by IndyCar, NASCAR, FIA, Sprint, or any other series sponsor.
This material may not be published, broadcast, or redistributed without