Vautier leads Milwaukee Lights race flag-to-flag Tristan Vautier, who earlier in the day earned the pole position for the Firestone Indy Lights 100, held off Sebastian Saavedra of Team AFS by 0.3370 of a second to provide Sam Schmidt Motorsports its 50th victory in the series. The team has been in the series since its inception in 2002.
It was the second victory this season from the pole for Vautier, driving the No. 77 Mazda Road to Indy/SSM with Curb-Agajanian car. Teammate Esteban Guerrieri, last year's race winner who started sixth in the No. 11 Pistas Argentinas/SSM with Curb-Agajanian car, advanced to third place.
By virtue of the three bonus points for the pole (1) and leading the most laps (2), Vautier leaped Guerrieri for the points lead 241-238 heading to the Iowa Speedway next week.
Saavedra, who overtook Victor Carbone on the first lap for second, hung with Vautier following two restarts and closed on the final laps but couldn't get a run to make the pass.
David Ostella, driving the No. 22 TMR-Global Precast-Xtreme Coil Drilling car, overtook Carlos Munoz in the No. 26 Team Dialy-Ser car for Andretti Autosport on the final lap for fourth. Victor Carbone finished sixth in the No. 3 Mav TV/Nevoni/SSM with Curb-Agajanian entry.
Results Friday of the Firestone Indy Lights 100 Firestone Indy Lights Series event on the 1.015 mile Milwaukee Mile, with order of finish, starting position in parentheses, driver, laps completed and reason out (if any):
1. (1) Tristan Vautier, 100, Running
2. (3) Sebastian Saavedra, 100, Running
3. (6) Esteban Guerrieri, 100, Running
4. (7) David Ostella, 100, Running
5. (4) Carlos Munoz, 100, Running
6. (2) Victor Carbone, 100, Running
7. (10) Alon Day, 100, Running
8. (5) Gustavo Yacaman, 100, Running
9. (11) Jorge Goncalvez, 100, Running
10. (9) Bryan Clauson, 100, Running
11. (12) Juan Pablo Garcia, 99, Running
12. (8) Oliver Webb, 99, Running
13. (13) Mike Larrison, 34,Contact
Winners average speed: 123.337
Time of Race: 00:49:22.6164
Margin of victory: .3370 of a second
Cautions: 2 for 11 laps
Lead changes: 0
Vautier 1 -100
Point Standings: Vautier 241, Guerrieri 238, Saavedra 227, Carbone 182, Yacaman 177, Munoz 172, Webb 148, Day 139, Garcia 136, Ostella 122.