>


Advertisement
Hot News
for your iPhone
for your iPad
Go to our forums to discuss this news
DATE News (chronologically)
12/28/12
f1
Latest F1 news in brief - Friday
  • No DTM for Zanardi, Barrichello to stock car
  • DRS clampdown 'sensible' - Raikkonen
  • Two more 2013 cars pass FIA crash tests
  • Grosjean wanted first win 'at all costs'
  • No official penalties for Alonso in 2012

No DTM for Zanardi, Barrichello to stock car
(GMM)  Alex Zanardi will not be racing in the German touring car series DTM in 2013.

The former F1 driver recently tested a hand-controlled BMW, sparking speculation the popular 46-year-old Italian and Paralympian could return to full-time motor racing.

"We did have a conversation about taking it seriously further on," Zanardi told the Telegraph, "but I decided it would be a little bit too much for me to be involved full-time for the whole season next year.

"It would mean I wouldn't have time for things I'd enjoy – like cycling and fishing with my son – so I decided to wait for the next train," he added.

Meanwhile, F1 veteran Rubens Barrichello has confirmed reports he is switching from IndyCar to Brazil's premier stock car championship for 2013.

"After 20-plus years representing Brazil racing all over the world, it is time to come home," said the 40-year-old.

DRS clampdown 'sensible' - Raikkonen
(GMM)  Banning the use of the moveable rear wing innovation DRS on Friday and Saturday is a good move, Kimi Raikkonen has declared.

DRS was introduced in 2011 to make overtaking easier during grands prix.

But because the FIA feared that setup compromises would minimize the effectiveness of the system, it was decided that DRS could also be used during free practice and qualifying.

That will now change for 2013, when DRS is only used during races.

"It's a sensible change," said Lotus driver Raikkonen.

"It had been going more and more in the direction of everyone trying to take advantage all the time to use DRS earlier and earlier.

"At some point it was going to cause a big crash.  The drivers wanted this change."

And Finn Raikkonen told Turun Sanomat newspaper the DRS clampdown could also be useful for another reason.

"Probably it will stabilize the better cars, where for example the Red Bulls were able to drive through some corners with the DRS open, while others could not," he said.

Meanwhile, Raikkonen rubbished suggestions that top drivers - like, for example, Lewis Hamilton - are able to switch teams and improve the performance of a team's car.

"If it was true, you wouldn't need engineers anymore," he said.  "That's just rubbish.

"Of course we as drivers say our opinion and the engineers listen.  We try what they come up with and see whether it works or how good it is or not.

"But it's not right that they ask the drivers how to build the car," insisted Raikkonen.

Two more 2013 cars pass FIA crash tests
(GMM)  The monocoque of two more F1 teams' 2013 cars have passed the mandatory FIA crash tests.

According to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport, one of them is Mercedes' W04, to be raced next year by Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg.

The report said the silver single seater will have a new and smaller gearbox, totally different sidepods for the Coanda exhaust, and rear suspension designed to be flexible to geometry changes if required to suit Pirelli's new tires.

Meanwhile, Spain's El Mundo Deportivo said the successor to Ferrari's 2012 car has also passed the FIA's monocoque crash tests.

Earlier this month, Sauber became the first team to announce that its new car, the C32, had passed the FIA crash tests and was therefore clear to begin winter testing in February.

Grosjean wanted first win 'at all costs'
(GMM)  Romain Grosjean thinks he is ready to take a more mature approach to formula one.

After the abortive start to his career at scandal-ridden Renault in 2009, the Frenchman got a second chance at the pinnacle of motor racing this year, with Lotus.

By mid-season, he had proved his speed with three podiums, but the 26-year-old also became the subject of intense criticism for repeat mistakes, culminating in his ultra-rare race ban following the Spa-Francorchamps start crash.

After a period of speculation about his seat, Grosjean has been signed for a second consecutive full season in 2013.

"I had figured F1 was hard, but not that much," he admitted to Sport24.

"Gradually I realized that the difficulty of the challenge was at least a multiple of two compared to what I knew at the beginning.

"For sure I have been criticized a lot, but if you had told me at the start that I would finish eighth with three podiums, I would have signed for it immediately.

"Yes, I made rookie mistakes for wanting to do things too quickly -- for example, I wanted to get their (Lotus') first win at all costs.

"I hope I've learned now and grown up although there is still work to do," added Grosjean.

"I expect a different pressure now; I cannot commit the same mistakes over and I'll try to score points as often as possible.

"I hope to demonstrate the same pace as this year but be more consistent.

"In terms of the standings, I would rather not set any targets -- that would be another mistake," he concluded.

No official penalties for Alonso in 2012
(GMM)  If Pastor Maldonado was the penalty king, then Fernando Alonso is the master of fair play in 2012.

That is the finding of Brazil's Globo Esporte, having compiled a list of the official FIA penalties attracted by F1's 24 drivers this year.

Williams' Maldonado tops the list with 15 penalties; almost double the tally of the penalty runner-up Sergio Perez, whose 8 penalties was also matched by world champion Sebastian Vettel's official infractions.

At the other extreme is Ferrari's Alonso, whose tally of zero penalties is matched only by German backmarker Timo Glock.

"I have no miracles, I make my miracles the correct rules," the Spaniard tweeted shortly after the conclusion of this year's 20-race calendar.

Hot News Archives
2000 2001 2002 2003
2004200520062007
2008200920102011
2012201320142015

Search Hot News
Search Help