Penske Racing Roster Updates Due to the recent penalties announced by NASCAR regarding the No. 2 and 22 Penske Racing teams, Penske Racing has made the following roster adjustments for the Darlington and Charlotte races. Please see the information below and let me know if you have any questions.
Team Manager: Mike Nelson, currently Vice President of Operations, will fulfill this role.
No. 2 Miller Lite Ford Fusion:
Crew Chief: Kevin Buskirk
- Buskirk, a former driver and crew chief, joined Penske racing prior to the 2012 season. He currently manages the test teams for Penske Racing.
Race Engineer: Jonathan Hassler
- Hassler, served as the lead engineer for the No. 22 Sprint Cup Series team last season and helped the No. 22 Nationwide Series team earn six victories in 2011.
Car Chief: Nick Hensley
- Hensley, has worked with Penske Racing since 2007 and has worked with the No. 2 team since the 2011 season.
No. 22 Shell Pennzoil Ford Fusion:
Crew Chief: Steve Reis
- Reis, who normally serves as one of the team’s engineers, has been with Penske Racing since 2009 and has been with the No. 22 team since 2011. Before, he served as the race engineer on the No. 77 Penske Racing Sprint Cup team
Race Engineer: Ben Atkins
- Atkins is an engineer with Penske Racing and worked with Todd Gordon during the 2011 season.
Car Chief: Jeffery Thousand
- Thousand, who has been with Penske Racing for close to twenty years, served as the car chief for the No. 22 through last season.
*Note: Greg Erwin, Sam Hornish Jr.’s crew chief in the Nationwide Series, will sit atop the pit box on race day for the Shell-Pennzoil team and serve as a race strategist. Erwin will continue in his role as Sam Hornish’ s crew chief in the Nationwide Series.