Tribunal hands Mercedes and Pirelli a slap on the wrist (Update) UPDATE (GMM) Mercedes on Friday said it will not appeal the international tribunal's verdict, therefore closing the 'test-gate' scandal.
The tribunal's judges revealed earlier that the Brackley based team has been reprimanded, banned from the forthcoming young drivers' test at Silverstone, and ordered to pay a share of the legal costs.
It had the right to appeal within 7 days.
But in a media statement, Mercedes described the penalties as "proportionate".
"(The tribunal) confirmed that the team acted in good faith regarding the Pirelli tests, never intended to obtain any unfair sporting advantage and had no reason to believe that approval ... had not been given," it read.
Mercedes said it will not appeal "in the best interests of the sport".
06/21/13 (GMM) Mercedes has been banned from testing at Silverstone next month, it emerged as the FIA's international tribunal on Friday handed down its verdict.
The German marque, and F1's tire supplier Pirelli, were also "reprimanded" at the end of the so-called test-gate scandal and ordered to pay costs, as the judge's panel found the post-Spanish grand prix test at Barcelona was a breach of the rules.
As a result, Mercedes will not be allowed to field 'young drivers' at the forthcoming three-day test at Silverstone in July.
The carmaker was also ordered to pay a third of the costs of the investigation, with Pirelli to pick up the bill for another third.
"The FIA wishes that lessons are learnt from this case," said the governing body in a separate statement.
"To this end, the FIA will make sure ... that its control of the testings is strengthened."
The statement said Mercedes and Pirelli can appeal.