>


Advertisement
Hot News
for your iPhone
for your iPad
Go to our forums to discuss this news
DATE News (chronologically)
07/01/13
f1
Latest F1 news in brief - Monday (Update) UPDATE Updates shown in red below.

07/01/13
  • Jean Todt urges calm
    2013 season in tire-exploding crisis after Silverstone
  • Horner suggests return to 2012-spec tires
  • Australia to keep season opener slot in 2014
  • Hulkenberg not paid by struggling Sauber
  • 'Test-gate' whispers remain as Mercedes speeds ahead
  • Domenicali backs Alonso, Ferrari car getting 'worse'
  • Ferrari could adapt 2014 F1 engine for Le Mans
  • Red Bull snub would make Raikkonen 'a wimp' - Lauda
  • FIA to meet with Pirelli as Todt urges calm New

2013 season in tire-exploding crisis after Silverstone
(GMM)  Formula one's tire-dominated 2013 season has shifted into an even higher gear, as drivers threaten to go on strike unless immediate action is taken.

Crisis struck the Silverstone paddock on Sunday, after Pirelli's already-controversial tires inexplicably exploded while others deflated or showed visible damage, in a safety car-interrupted and almost red-flagged British grand prix.

There is talk of a drivers' boycott ahead of the weekend's Nurburgring race.

"Well, for sure we are going to discuss about that," said Felipe Massa, who almost died in 2009 when debris struck his helmet.

The retiring Mark Webber was furious.

"It's not December yet, so I'll stay quiet," said the usually outspoken Australian, but he did admit that F1's authorities have displayed "deaf ears" to the drivers' concerns since Pirelli entered the sport.

But even FIA race director Charlie Whiting admitted after the race that he came "quite close" to waving the red flag on Sunday on safety grounds.

"I would have understood that perfectly," Massa agreed.

The Ferrari driver said the situation cannot be left to chance, particularly with circuits like Spa and Monza looming.

"These things cannot occur on these circuits," said the Brazilian.

Lewis Hamilton, who was leading on Sunday when his tire spectacularly exploded, revealed: "That's the first time in my whole career that I've felt the danger.

"I was thinking of stopping (retiring from the race)," he claimed.

"I don't know why I have to put my life at risk for these damn tires," the 2008 world champion told broadcaster Sky.

Niki Lauda, the triple world champion who was almost burned to death in 1976, and now Mercedes' F1 chairman, said: "If that (tire) tread hits you on your face, it would break your neck off."

FIA president Jean Todt was at Silverstone, and according to Germany's Bild newspaper, he summoned Whiting and Pirelli to an immediate crisis meeting late on Sunday.

The Frenchman has also called a more formal emergency meeting with Pirelli and the F1 teams for Wednesday.

"Our priority is the safety of the drivers," said Todt.  "We must make the right decisions and not react emotionally," he told France's Canal Plus television.

One mooted solution, albeit suggested most loudly by those who have often struggled competitively on the 2013 tires, is to simply revert to Pirelli's 2012 tire.

"I don't know if that will happen," said Mercedes' Toto Wolff, "or whether the structure can be changed, but it is a fact that it is very dangerous."

Lauda, and Ferrari's Fernando Alonso, rubbished suggestions Silverstone's curbs were to blame.

"We have curbs at every circuit and everyone drives over them," Lauda blasted.  "That's what they're there for.

"If the tires cannot handle the curbs, then you don't change the curbs, you change the tires," he told German broadcaster RTL.

Alonso agreed: "I think the curbs were perfectly ok."

Already in Pirelli's pocket is a new internally Kevlar-belted tire that was designed to stop the delamination problems seen earlier this season.

Teams like Lotus and Force India vetoed the change, but only because Pirelli insisted the problem was merely aesthetic rather than a pressing safety issue.

Now, safety, danger and looming death are the words on everyone's lips.

"If Pirelli says the tires are not safe, then we would not stop the necessary changes from coming in," Lotus engineer Alan Permane told Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.

Speaking to Canal Plus television, team boss Eric Boullier agreed: "Now that we are talking about safety, it's a different thing.

"We will all sit around a table and do everything we can to help Pirelli."

The biggest problem, however, is that the FIA meeting is taking place only on Wednesday, where two days later practice will kick off at the Nurburgring.

"For Germany you can't do anything," Lauda acknowledged.

But beyond that, according to Brazil's O Estado de S.Paulo newspaper, some teams are proposing that the forthcoming young drivers test at Silverstone become a full-blown tire development test, with race drivers allowed to run.

"It's an idea that should be discussed in the coming days," said Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali.

Horner suggests return to 2012-spec tires
Red Bull team boss Christian Horner has suggested that Pirelli should reintroduce the tire compounds it used last year to solve its current problems, with the Italian manufacturer suffering a spate of left-rear failures during the British Grand Prix.

And as this weekend's German Grand Prix approaches, Horner says moving back to a proven product for the remainder of the 2013 season would be a logical decision.

"Are they dangerous? Arguably here at Silverstone, yes they are," explained Horner. "It's Pirelli's product, it's their technology and they need to understand it and address it quickly. First of all they need to understand what actually happened and they need to react to that. Whether they can or not, I don't know.

"The most logical thing would be to go back to the tires that worked for them previously. The tires we had last year didn't have these failures. Whatever's changed has changed and you would have thought the most logical thing would be to go back to the tires that had previously served them well."

Horner hit back at claims that Red Bull is attempting to gain an on-track advantage by calling for Pirelli to make changes, insisting his team's efforts are safety-driven.

"The problem is that teams are perceived to be chasing a competitive advantage," he commented. "However, from our perspective we were leading the race and we've won races on these tires, but I would urge to change the tires purely on the grounds of safety. With what happened today I'm sure Pirelli won't be very happy about it.

"Safety comes above any performance criteria. We saw Felipe Massa's accident [struck by a coil spring at the Hungaroring] a few years ago with flying debris and that is almost as dangerous if not more dangerous than the delaminations themselves."

Australia to keep season opener slot in 2014
(GMM)  Australia may retain the opening slot on the 2014 calendar.

Earlier, it was thought likely the sport's highly-controversial Bahrain race could steal Melbourne's thunder as the scene of next year's championship opener.

But Australian Grand Prix Corporation chairman Ron Walker was in London last week for talks with Bernie Ecclestone.

"We will be the first race (in 2014)," Walker told the Australian Financial Review afterwards.

"Everything is going to plan for that."

The situation was expected to be cleared up late last week, when the World Motor Sport Council met at Goodwood.

But, unusually, a provisional calendar was not published.

F1 chief executive Ecclestone, however, has backed his friend and ally Walker's claim that Australia will still host the opening race next March.

"No, we aren't making Bahrain the first race next year," the 82-year-old told F1 business journalist and Formula Money editor Christian Sylt last week.

"I think we will keep it as it is.  It is just a rumor that it will change."

Hulkenberg not paid by struggling Sauber
(GMM)  Nico Hulkenberg is the victim of a financial crisis at Swiss team Sauber, the German newspaper Bild reports.

We reported on Sunday that, as the Hinwil based team runs out money, development of the uncompetitive C32 has stopped, and suppliers' bills are going unpaid.

The Swiss newspaper Blick said Sauber is desperately waiting for a new sponsor, believed to be Russian natural gas giant Gazprom, to sign up.

Bild correspondents Helmut Uhl and Nicola Pohl claim Hulkenberg is yet to be paid for May.

Team boss Monisha Kaltenborn confirmed: "It's true, we're in trouble at the moment.

"But we will get out of it again, and in any case will still be here at the end of the season."

'Test-gate' whispers remain as Mercedes speeds ahead
(GMM)  As Mercedes speeds ahead in formula one, tempers remain frayed and fingers are still pointing in the wake of the 'test-gate' scandal.

Many in the paddock believe Mercedes' dramatic turnaround - two wins in three races - since its secret Pirelli test is because of the unfair advantage gained by Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton over those 1000 highly controversial kilometers.

Asked if he still would have won at Silverstone if not for the Barcelona test, a defiant German Rosberg said on Sunday: "For sure.  Definitely."

Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali, however, is not so sure.

"We have nothing to say," he is quoted by Spain's AS newspaper.  "We avoid controversy and stay calm."

Mercedes chairman Niki Lauda, however, blasted the paddock insinuations.

"I cannot hear this nonsense.  Everything was finished with the court (tribunal) ruling.  So we are concentrating on racing," said the Austrian legend.

Relations between Mercedes and Red Bull, who along with Ferrari filed the original protest and have been highly vocal about the Barcelona test, are particularly fraught.

Mercedes director Toto Wolff is believed to have made some crass comments about the Red Bull company in the German press last week.

He justified his counterpunch by insisting to Tagesspiegel that "there is a limit and Red Bull exceeded it", and admitting his comments might have made Dietrich Mateschitz "spit out his cereal".

"Eloquent.  Very eloquent," Red Bull's Dr Helmut Marko hit back.  According to Kleine Zeitung, Marko has vowed only to deal with Lauda in the future.

"At least he (Lauda) is a man of character," said Marko.

Domenicali backs Alonso, Ferrari car getting 'worse'
(GMM)  Stefano Domenicali has refused to rebuke Fernando Alonso for questioning the lagging development of Ferrari's 2013 car.

Spaniard Alonso qualified tenth but finished the British grand prix in third place, taking a bite out of Sebastian Vettel's championship lead after the leading Red Bull broke down at Silverstone.

"We saw this weekend that the pace is not good enough," he said afterwards.

Earlier, Alonso had pointed a finger at a trend of backwards development coming out of the Maranello factory.

"Fernando's analysis is one that I share," team boss Domenicali told the Italian newspaper La Stampa.  "We have made the car worse.

"Now we need to analyze all the data to find the reasons for this step backwards, and make a solution.

"The drivers are in a difficult position psychologically, so it's important to reassure them," he added.

Domenicali also put his support behind Brazilian Felipe Massa, who has suffered multiple crashes in recent races, including yet another in Silverstone practice.

Some have suggested the accidents are denting Massa's chances of a 2014 contract.

"He needs to feel the confidence of the team, so that everything can be perfect in the next races," said Domenicali.

"Adding pressure serves neither the driver or the team."

Ferrari could adapt 2014 F1 engine for Le Mans
(GMM)  Stefano Domenicali is not denying speculation Ferrari might enter prototype sports car racing, including fabled Le Mans.

The rumor first emerged mid last week, after Renault hinted its new 1.6 liter turbo engine for F1 next year could be adapted for Le Mans.

Asked if Le Mans might also be an option for Ferrari in the coming years, the Maranello based F1 team's boss Domenicali said: "The new turbo engine for introduction in formula one next year would allow some interesting projects.

"At the moment I cannot say more," he told Italian newspaper La Stampa.

Red Bull snub would make Raikkonen 'a wimp' - Lauda
(GMM)  Two F1 legends fundamentally disagree about Kimi Raikkonen's best next move.

It is rumored the 2007 world champion is the hot favorite to replace Red Bull's Porsche-bound Mark Webber next season.

But Sir Jackie Stewart, a triple world champion turned consultant for Lotus team owner Genii, thinks becoming Sebastian Vettel's teammate would be a bad move for the Finn.

"I wouldn't want to go into the garage next to another top driver who for many years has established his place within that team," the Scot told Finnish newspaper Turun Sanomat.

Typically bluntly, however, fellow triple world champion Niki Lauda thinks 33-year-old Raikkonen should make the jump to Red Bull.

"If Kimi doesn't go," the Austrian legend told German newspaper Bild, "he's a wimp.

"Yes, he might have to do a few more working days, but all that means is a few less drinking days!" Lauda added.

FIA to meet with Pirelli as Todt urges calm
FIA president Jean Todt has asked the F1 fraternity not to "respond emotionally" to the latest tire fiasco.

The issue over the safety of this year's compounds came to head at the British Grand Prix on Sunday after four different drivers suffered left-rear punctures.

Lewis Hamilton, Felipe Massa, Jean-Eric Vergne and Sergio Perez all had high-speed blowouts at Silverstone and everyone up and down the paddock feel Pirelli face "serious questions".

Race director Charlie Whiting has admitted he nearly red-flagged the race while the FIA has asked the Italian manufacturer to attend their Sporting Working Committee at Silverstone on Wednesday to do some explaining.

Although he is eager to sort the tire issue out as soon as possible, Todt has warned against any knee-jerk reactions.

"I had a meeting with officials from Pirelli who will obviously investigate all the incidents that occurred in recent days," he said in an interview with French TV's Canal+.

"They will come up with proposals for the important meeting with all the teams on Wednesday. This (problem) will be part of the priority agenda.

"From the moment there are safety issues we have to make the right decision, and not just respond emotionally.

"We must analyze things and let the experts come together to meet after that. It will allow us to make a final decision." Planet F1

Hot News Archives
2000 2001 2002 2003
2004200520062007
2008200920102011
2012201320142015

Search Hot News
Search Help