Montoya to leave Ganassi team (Update)UPDATE FOXSPORTS.com's Lee Spencer wrote EGR's future still "remains bright." Ganassi last year signed 21-year-old driver Kyle Larson to an eight-year contract, and Larson is "currently competing for Turner Scott Motorsports in the Nationwide Series." While Montoya had "a solid relationship with Target, Larson is a sponsor's dream" because he is "young, attractive, well-spoken and capable of winning." FOXSPORTS.com
Montoya is extremely talented but the Ganassi team was never able to give him the equipment to win on a consistent basis.
Juan Pablo Montoya will not return to the No. 42 Sprint Cup car of Earnhardt Ganassi Racing in 2014, multiple sources told ESPN.com.
Sources said that Montoya's team was told of the decision on Tuesday. Montoya is expected to drive the car for the rest of this season. The organization will begin a search for a replacement immediately, sources said.
Among those expected to be considered are EGR developmental driver Kyle Larson, who drives in the Nationwide Series, Kurt Busch, AJ Allmendinger and Ryan Newman.
Montoya was in the final year of his contract with EGR. He'd been with the organization since 2007.
Team officials declined to comment. Sources said the decision was difficult for team owner Chip Ganassi, who considers Montoya like a brother. Montoya won the 2000 Indianapolis 500 for Ganassi's IndyCar organization.
Montoya has two victories in 239 Sprint Cup starts, winning on the road course at Sonoma in 2007 and Watkins Glen in 2010.
Montoya is 22nd in points with three top-5s, including a runner-up finish at Dover in June.
Before joining NASCAR, Montoya had seven wins in Formula One. He won a CART championship in 1999. ESPN.com
Copyright 1999-2013 | AutoRacing1 is an
independent internet online publication and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed
by IndyCar, NASCAR, FIA, Sprint, or any other series sponsor.
This material may not be published, broadcast, or redistributed without