Baltimore Grand Prix Officials Happy With This Year's Race, Confident In Event's Future The Izod IndyCar Series Grand Prix of Baltimore needs to secure a new date for future events, but "most involved believe that open-wheel racecars will roar again," according to Don Markus of the Baltimore SUN. Event GM Tim Mayer said that what had "started out as a rocky marriage between the city and IndyCar has smoothed considerably."
While attendance figures for this year's race have not been released, Mayer said that the "general 'vibe' has been positive." Mayer: "This is a city that has needed to see this operate smoothly and want to associate their name with it. Last year was a rescue situation, and who wants to be part of a rescue? This year they are seeing it not as a rescue but as a proper event. ... I think it's really on firm footing for the future."
Markus noted the original contract runs out in '15, and organizers "have known from the start that Labor Day weekend was not available next year because of a conflict with a Navy-Ohio State football game at M&T Bank Stadium." Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake on Friday said that the "value of the Grand Prix remains as a Labor Day event." But she added, "We're hopeful that there might be another date possible." Mayer said trying to find dates that do not conflict with the Orioles, Ravens conventions is like a "Rubik's cube." Baltimore SUN.
Mayer said of Labor Day weekend next year, "It's in our contract since the very beginning of the race that this date was not available. That was never a question. We've always known that in this month we would start working on the date. For me, this is business as usual. I've met a dozen times this week on the subject, and everybody is determined to make this go forward." AP
Copyright 1999-2018 | AutoRacing1 is an
independent internet online publication and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed
by IndyCar, NASCAR, FIA, or any series sponsor.
This material may not be published, broadcast, or redistributed without