Ferrari confirms Raikkonen (2nd Update) UPDATE #2 BBC Sport reports that the 33-year-old, whose contract with Lotus runs out at the end of the season, "signed a one-year deal with an option for 2015"
Kimi Raikkonen says he "cannot wait" to be reunited with the Ferrari team from the 2014 Formula 1 campaign after putting pen to paper on a two-year agreement.
|Kimi Raikkonen at Spa with Ferrari in 2007|
The Finn, who raced for the Italian marque between 2007 and 2009 before taking a short sabbatical, made a popular return to the sport with Lotus at the beginning of 2012, impressing the paddock with his rapid and consistent performances.
After Red Bull's decision to promote Daniel Ricciardo and Lotus' inability to provide the assurances he has been seeking for the 2014 season, Raikkonen opted to return to the squad where he claimed his sole title in 2007, partnering Fernando Alonso. "I am really happy to be returning to Maranello where I previously spent three fantastic and very successful years," said Raikkonen. "I have so many memories of my time at Ferrari, memories which have stayed with me these past years, first and foremost, winning the World Championship title in 2007, which was really unforgettable.
"I can't wait to be driving a Prancing Horse car again and to reacquaint myself with so many people with whom I had such close links, as well as working with Fernando, whom I consider a great driver, in order to bring the team the success it deserves."
Double World Champion Alonso also acknowledged the 33-year-old's impending arrival, explaining: "I’d like to welcome my new travelling companion: together, starting next year, we will have to tackle a very demanding technical and racing challenge."
09/11/13 (GMM) Ferrari on Wednesday announced the highly-anticipated news that Kimi Raikkonen will rejoin the Italian team in 2014.
In a brief statement at the end of a frenzied period of media speculation, Ferrari said the Finn - who won his world title in a red car in 2007 - will be Fernando Alonso's teammate "for the next two racing seasons".
"Welcome back, Kimi!" read the headline at the Maranello based team's official website.
Raikkonen, now 33, entered a two-year rallying and Nascar sabbatical after the 2009 season, when Ferrari paid out the final year of his contract in order to welcome Alonso and his Spanish sponsor Santander.
It has been reported that Alonso, widely regarded as Ferrari's 'number 1' alongside the now-departing Felipe Massa, strongly resisted the signing of Raikkonen.
Despite having a long contract, he was linked with protest moves to Red Bull, Lotus and even a return to McLaren, where he clashed memorably with boss Ron Dennis and rookie teammate Lewis Hamilton in 2007.
So while Ferrari was welcoming Raikkonen back, Alonso lamented the end of his four-season relationship with Brazilian Massa.
Captioning a photo montage of their time together, Alonso said on Twitter on Wednesday: "All the luck for the next years!
"You will be a strong opponent in any team! And we still have 7 GPs to have some fun!"
And, still referring to Massa, Alonso was quoted by F1's official website: "Come the end of the season, it will not be easy to say goodbye to a teammate like him."
Former F1 team owner and boss Eddie Jordan, however, doubts Raikkonen will cause Alonso any grief.
"Kimi is no politician," he told Germany's Auto Bild. "There will not be any problems if they just let him be.